Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Apr 24th, 2014, 2:40pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: ProBoards v. YaBB early score (Read 16902 times)
DooWopper
Forum Moderator

Palmus Plasticcus!

Re: ProBoards v. YaBB early score
Nov 4th, 2006, 9:26am

I'm just guessing, but on other forums, there are usually advertisments on top (for sponsors) and maybe that's why there are empty boxes on the top of our forum. The other smilies were better, but if this software is the same as V-Bulliten, Mike should be able to upload more smilies if he wishes.

btw Mike good job, I like this format and the forum's design much more. It's so much cleaner and more professional looking.

-Greg
Please Enjoy My Photo Slideshows
*****http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperOktav *****
View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2006, 1:28pm

Oh cool, I just discovered another improvement: if you click that tiny page icon right under the title of a thread until you see the "all" option next to it, and then click "all," you can look at the whole thread as one page. Only way to do that on the old forum was to click "print" and look at the printer-friendly version, without the colors and whatnot, and then you'd have to go back to normal view if you wanted to reply.

Quote from thelastresort on Nov 4th, 2006, 9:25am:
I can't find the spell check. is there one?

There's a rudimentary spell-check built into message composition that puts a red line under anything it thinks you spelled wrong. I think that's as far as it goes.

Quote from thelastresort on Nov 4th, 2006, 9:25am:
Also, can't readily figure out how to do things like insert different smileys, etc.

I had trouble with the extra smileys at first because, like a typical Machead, I tried to drag them into the composition window, which was not what YaBB had in mind. You saw the "more smilies" menu that appears to the left of that window when you're writing a post, right? Click the down arrow to get the menu of smilies and select the name of one you think you might want. Wait for it to appear in the window below the menu--sometimes there's a lag--and then just click on it, don't drag it, and it will appear in the message you're composing, wherever you left your cursor.

One of these days I'm going to figure out a legitimate, G-rated excuse to insert this one:
Smiley

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2006, 3:32pm by fuzzyscorpio »  

Kathi
My eye sees the Atlantis condo, but my heart sees the Atlantis Lodge
click here for Wildwoods slide shows •
View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2006, 3:22pm

And another thing, Mike...

The search engine here is a one thousand percent improvement over the old one. We hardly need it at this stage, of course, but I think it'll soon be much appreciated.  Smiley

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
thelastresort
God Member

Wildwood Fan Since
'69

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2006, 9:23am

thanks, Fuz, yes, I tried the "drag and drop" thing too, to no avail.  sad to hear about the loss of the "spell check on demand", especially since I am such a poor speller. Smiley  Hopefully the autocorrect will be watching my back. Smiley

But generally, I think this new board is great.  The old board was fine, but this one is indeed better.  Nice job Mike! Smiley

Being right 99.9% of the time is an incredible burden
View Profile   IP Logged
Helen

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2006, 9:05pm

I agree with the spell check - I am not a great speller  Roll Eyes

View Profile   IP Logged
wildwanderer

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #5 - Nov 7th, 2006, 7:57pm

Wink  I like it so far.  I like the color changes.  So I guess I'll give it a thumbs up.  I do miss all the info that has been lost since the beginning.

I Love The Wildwoods!!
View Profile   IP Logged
WildMan
Ultimate God Member

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2006, 10:11am

I had no problems with the old boards and I have no problems with this one.  I guess I'll eventually form a better opinion once I spend some quality time here like I did on the other one.

View Profile   IP Logged
nyjay

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #7 - Nov 8th, 2006, 10:37pm

The green and white boxes with the font make it harder to read...overall good job though

View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2006, 1:33pm

I'm wondering if the 5500-character limit on posts could be raised a bit, to at least 8000 or so. Thom had trouble with it yesterday and I've already smacked into it once, too. The issues on this forum can get complicated, and if you're quoting other people's posts, even in a selective manner, the character count can shoot up pretty fast.

I got around the ceiling by composing two separate posts, but that wouldn't have worked very well for Thom when he was trying to post a complete report of a specific event.

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
thelastresort
God Member

Wildwood Fan Since
'69

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2006, 2:55pm

if it can't be said in 5500 characters it's probably too long.

brevity!  or like my friend O'Reilly would say "keep it pithy".

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2006, 6:29pm

I agree. 5500 charactors is plenty..

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2006, 8:56am by FlyinGN »  

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
Email View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2006, 7:34pm

Quote from thelastresort on Nov 16th, 2006, 2:55pm:
if it can't be said in 5500 characters it's probably too long.

Given the option, most webmasters are going to impose a length cutoff on forum posts simply because server space is finite, but 5500 is not a magic number, TLR, it's an arbitrary limit. And if two forum members--out of only a couple dozen who've posted much--have already had trouble with it in two weeks, it's probably too low.  

If the length of a post exceeds your personal interest in the subject--or in the opinions of the poster Smiley--no one's making you read it. I think the ceiling should be high enough to permit the occasional extended discussion or posting of material from an outside source (with the appropriate copyright observations).

Quote:
brevity! or like my friend O'Reilly would say "keep it pithy".

You sure that should be a "th" in Bill's quote and not a double S? Smiley

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
thelastresort
God Member

Wildwood Fan Since
'69

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2006, 11:56am

Just offering my opinion, I'd even be happy to limit it to 1000 characters.  I know I've written long diatribes before, but honestly, when I see a long post, I usually just skim it and probably miss something.  I think the author is losing his/her audience with the long posts (myself included) and would do themselves benefit by keeping it "short and sweet", or at least have an executive summary paragraph at the beginning, instead of having it read like a Charles Dickens' novel where it takes 5 pages to describe something, I prefer the Hemmingway style myself.

PS, if it is compound question, topic, etc., it would be better to have 5 little posts than one humoungous one, in my opinion.  It keeps the interest up and keeps things moving.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print