Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Oct 22nd, 2014, 8:33pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Doo Wop Discussion #4: Jolly Roger Motel (Read 13328 times)
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Doo Wop Discussion #4: Jolly Roger Motel
Jun 29th, 2007, 1:24am

Jolly Roger Motel

6805 Atlantic Avenue  
Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260  
(p) (609) 522-6915  

Doo Wop Discussion #3: Pink Champagne Motel (Wildwood)
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1182520248

Doo Wop Discussion #2: New England Motel (North Wildwood)
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1181906799

Doo Wop Discussion #1: Isle of Capri Motel (North Wildwood)
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1181234853

For our fourth installment of the 'Doo Wop Discussion,' we finally make our way down to the Crest. This week, the random drawing has selected a longtime and well-known favorite, the Jolly Roger Motel.

Official Website
http://www.jollyrogermotel.com/

'Wildwood Doo Wop" Profile Page
http://www.wildwooddoowop.com/doowopspots/?ID=233&page=4&limit=20&se lectmuni=Wildwood%20Crest

I wanted to start this thread before heading out for the weekend. I have some freelance responsibilities to take care of over the next few days, so I'll add some notes and my initial thoughts on the Jolly Roger a bit later on.

This is a high-profile place that I'm sure most (if not all) are familiar with. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's comments.

Have a great weekend, everyone!  Cheesy

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
crazyaboutwildwood
Ex Member

Re: Doo Wop Discussion #4: Jolly Roger Motel
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2007, 3:23am

Al, Great topic! I dont know a darn thing about this place. The only thing I do know is that it is owned by the moreys. Im sure everyone already knows that. I am excited to find out some detailed history on this place!

IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2007, 7:59am

yea me too. Never been there.. I wanted to try it recently but my wife was not to crazy about the layout...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2007, 10:06am

To tell the absolute truth, I never cared much for the look of the Jolly Roger.  To me, it looked very plain compared to other motels in the area.  Maybe it has to do with the never-ending windows leaving precious little room for theming elements that most other motels have.  But over the past few years, I've come to appreciate it for what it is.  I love the sign, the "flagcrete" walls and the rooftop pirate, even though it'd be nice if they found another way to secure the thing because those cables detract form the overall look.

On a side note, I want to thank Al for turning this into such a wonderful, regular feature on the site.  Not only is it a great idea but I love the effort he puts into it with the pictures, the links to past Doo Wop Discussions and the location's website.  Keep up the good work Al, and you'll be missed this weekend!

View Profile   IP Logged
mickeyfinz
God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2007, 10:23am

I only have this to contribute to this great thread: Many years ago ('68) me and my pals were tossed out of the Jolly Roger. Six of us were all home from VietNam and I guess we raised a little too much heck.
We went to The MaryAnn to meet some babes, but even they didn't appreciate us.

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2007, 10:47am

Quote from Rob Ascough on Jun 29th, 2007, 10:06am:
On a side note, I want to thank Al for turning this into such a wonderful, regular feature on the site.  Not only is it a great idea but I love the effort he puts into it with the pictures, the links to past Doo Wop Discussions and the location's website.  Keep up the good work Al, and you'll be missed this weekend!

Thank you, Rob; this really means a lot to me!  Cheesy

These discussions are always a lot of fun, and are very informative. Honestly, it's a thrill to be able to share my passion with others in this way. So, as I prepare to head out for the weekend (yes, I'm procrastinating), a sincere thank you to everyone for contributing and making this message board what it is!  Smiley

I will undoubtably be popping in here and there, later today and over the weekend, if just to read the posts.

Briefly, about the Jolly Roger... I was told not that long ago by someone I would consider to be a 'reliable source' that the Moreys do not own the Jolly Roger, but only manage it as part of the Morey Hospitality division. I did not get the chance to research that possibility, so I'm not sure (though I'm skeptical).

I will try to find out what the exact ownership/managment situation with this motel is...

http://www.moreyhospitality.com/

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2007, 11:51am

Nothing against the Jolly Roger, but when held up to Morey's other properties like the Starlux, Port Royal and Pam Am, it seems a little downmarket (for lack of a better term).  That's not to say it's a dump, but definitely not in the same class.  Makes sense that Morey's might just manage the place- no doubt it makes them money, and gives them another option when finding people a place to stay in the Wildwoods.  And if that's enough to keep the place around, I'm all for it.

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2007, 1:26pm

I agree Rob. Not in the same league as the rest of the Morey hotels for sure..

Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2007, 4:06pm

I'd love to see the Jolly Roger "re-imagined", so to speak.  It wouldn't take much to improve the appearance of the place, maybe add a third floor in some areas.  I think my mother stayed there once... I'll have to ask her what it was like, if she remembers.

View Profile   IP Logged
crazyaboutwildwood
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2007, 5:38pm

The blue palms- white star and the Jolly roger are not in the same league as the others. The blue palms continues to need lots of work, but they are trying. Actually I think the Blue palms-white star went down hill from last year. It does not look as crisp. I will have to take a closer look. Not having the white star all lit up may be the reason. It is dark over at the white star and Im not sure the "BLUE PALMS" look better then the green palms.

IP Logged
Cindy
God Member

proudly drinking the
kool aid

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2007, 8:23pm

I happen to love the JR.  I have never stayed there, so my comments are strictly from an architectural/aesthetic perspective.

These are a few highlights of the JR:

* JR Figure Above the Lobby:  I cannot think of another motel with a mascot.  He has a great, swashbuckling stance and I adore that he has a treasure chest.

* Nautical Theme:  As wonderful as the all of the DooWop styles are, the nautical, beachy themed motels are a pefect fit for a shore resort.  Don't get me wrong, I love motels like the Lollipop and Astronaut.  However, there is a special place in my heart for the motels with a shore town-appropriate theme.  (I'm down the shore, after all!)  Examples are the Driftwood and Sea Scape.  

* Layout:  The JR has a unique design, with the pool in the back and tennis courts in the front.  Also, not being in the traditional L-shape adds a bit of variety to the mix.

* DooWop Architecture: Despite the layout breaking away from the L-shape, the JR still has DooWop characteristics.  In the picture below, note the angled rooms and flagcrete blocks.

I may add to this later, but I am heading to NYC tomorrow and really need to get ready.

"Bobby Bright of the Wildwood Historical Society often refers to us as a cult . . ." Ralph Grassi
crazyaboutwildwood
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2007, 9:31pm

Nice picture! Thanks!

IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2007, 9:58pm

yea.. Im seeing the JR in a new light now.. I like that pic too. I see they have jalasey windows on the doors like the Bel Air does. Very nice.. I love to open em to allow the sea air in...

hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2007, 11:32pm

I have known several different families that have stayed at the jolly roger, everyone said it was a great place. I always liked the tennis courts in the front. Can't think of many other places in ww that have them.

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #14 - Jun 30th, 2007, 6:38am

I can see hulk in his tight white shorts and with sneaks and white sweater tired round his neck swinging the racket.. Grin

Tennis anyone??????

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print