Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Oct 22nd, 2017, 11:21am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Seven Wonders of the Wildwoods (Read 6785 times)
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Dream in NEON...

Seven Wonders of the Wildwoods
Jul 12th, 2007, 10:53am

This thread was inspired by the recent conversation in the 'New Wonders of the World' thread...

http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1184082702

I also started an 'Ancient Wonders of the World' thread, if you are interested (of if you happen to be a total history nerd like me)...  Wink

http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1184086320

I'm very interested to see everyone's personal opinions on the 'Seven Wonders of the Wildwoods.' I divided mine into two seperate lists -- 'Modern' and 'Ancient,' just for fun. Feel free to do one of each, or combine them in an 'all-time' list.

How many do you agree with?  Huh

AL'S 'SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WILDWOODS'...

MODERN

1.) The Boardwalk

Not necessarily an architectural marvel, but if it has to be explained why this is a 'wonder'... well, you don't know the Wildwoods.  Wink

2.) Great Nor'Easter

This twisting steel coaster is an impressive site on its own. It's true significance lies in the engineering mastery of its placement near the back of Surfside Pier (weaving around various areas and rides, including the Zoom Phloom).

3.) Golden Nugget

The most endearing symbol of Bud Hunt's legacy in the Wildwoods, the GN is dormant but still stands on once-thriving Hunt's Pier. How many rides could claim both 'coaster' and 'dark ride' status?

4.) Giant Wheel

As others have said, the Giant Wheel on Mariner's Landing has essentially become THE symbol of the Wildwoods. It remains one of the largest ferris wheels in the country. Plus, the new LED lighting package has given it a whole new (and very impressive) visual dimension at night.

5.) Hereford Lighthouse

This classic is often overlooked, but is nonetheless iconic. The fact that it does not look like the 'average' lighthouse only adds to its unique appeal.

6.) Caribbean Motel

The Wildwoods' quintessential 'Doo Wop' landmark, without question. Quaint and cozy, it exudes all of the hallmarks of creative mid-century architecture at its finest, and then some. Still going strong at 50 years old!

7.) Starlux Hotel

The grand-daddy of 'Neo Doo Wop.' A real eye-catcher at Atlantic & Rio Grande, the Starlux not only proved that older motel properties could be rehabilitated (it rose from the remnants of the rundown Wingate), but that they could be successful in the modern era of the Wildwoods.

ANCIENT

1.) Ebb Tide Motel

Generally regarded as the first 'Doo Wop' motel in Wildwood Crest, the Ebb Tide (with it's 'leaning walls') was also one of the more unique structures on the island.  

2.) Casa Bahama Motel

Speaking of unique... The CB's A-frame design made the otherwise-modest motel structure look as if it were comprised of several giant huts... perfectly capturing the 'tiki' feel and style.  

3.) Castle Dracula

They just don't make custom amusements like they used to. CD was impressively-complex, both inside and out. Talk about convincing... it looked like an actual castle! The structure also included the moat ride, which had been in operation since the early 1900s, prior to the fire that destroyed it all.  cry

4.) Manor Hotel

I wanted to include something from the Wildwoods' pre-'Doo Wop' days, and the Manor seemed like a logical choice. It was billed as the largest hotel on the island during its day, and played host to countless celebrity acts (including some who were just getting started and others at the height of their popularity).

5.) Satellite Motel

Along with the Casa Bahama and Ebb Tide, the Satellite completes the triology of the three most-unique motels ever built in the Wildwoods, IMO. Playful architectural elements that echoed the U.S.'s (and the world's) fascination with space travel and exploration reflected a simpler, seemingly-more-innocent time.

6.) SKUA (Pirate Ship)

Though it was often overshadowed by some of the other classic rides on Hunt's Pier, this Bill Tracy masterpiece is fondly remembered. Like Castle Dracula and the Golden Nugget, it was an impressive structure, inside and out, that effectively maximized every inch of space it was alotted.

7.) Zaberer's Restaurant

If you were never there, this might be a tough one to explain.  Ed Zaberer's Anglesea Inn was, quite simply, the most flamboyant restaurant on the island. A massive collection of artwork, Tiffany lamps and other decorative treasures in a endless corridor of rooms gave this place a dizzying, almost dream-enducing aura.

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
boardtripper

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: Seven Wonders of the Wildwoods
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2007, 11:02am

Great list.

One wonder for me - I'm amazed the Fun Pier Observation tower is still standing. 40 years, a mjor fire, etc...

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Dream in NEON...

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2007, 11:13am

Quote from boardtripper on Jul 12th, 2007, 11:02am:
Great list.

One wonder for me - I'm amazed the Fun Pier Observation tower is still standing. 40 years, a mjor fire, etc...

Thanks, boardtripper!  Cheesy

It is kind of amazing that that observation tower is still standing, after all of these years. It's been there my whole life, and is one of those things I definitely take for granted.

Sometimes, I'll be standing on the Boardwalk, looking over at Adventure/Wild Wheels/Fun Pier, and it will just hit me that it's still there, almost like a revalation. I wonder if the Moreys will ever remove it, or (better yet) figure out some other way to make it relevant again.

Al Alven

bigmikeyd1960
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2007, 11:20am

some of the ancient ones i would add is jungleland,flyer &jack rabbit,,,,,,,hey add the clown on sportland pier as one lol

mike
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2007, 12:20pm

What?????? No Flyer, Al?  Geez, I thought we were friends Wink

Actually, I agree with pretty much everything you listed (as you'll see in my post in the original Seven Wonders thread)!

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Dream in NEON...

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2007, 12:32pm

Quote from Rob Ascough on Jul 12th, 2007, 12:20pm:
What?????? No Flyer, Al?  Geez, I thought we were friends Wink

Actually, I agree with pretty much everything you listed (as you'll see in my post in the original Seven Wonders thread)!

I was tempted to include Hunt's Pier as one large entry, but that seemed like a cop-out. Without doing so, honestly, you could make an entire list of 'wonders' from the rides on that pier alone. After all, it was the 'Oceanic Wonderland,' no?  Wink

Al Alven

FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2007, 1:46pm

personally.. Id rather see the Hunts pier in place of the lighthouseSmiley  otherwise excellent list Al..

Robert

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2007, 10:39pm

How about Dr. Blood's House of Horror? That thing stood there on Sportland for over 3 decades until it finally met it's end in January. Or Dante's, it scared victims for less than 3 decades. Wildwood was once the Scary Attraction Capital of the East Coast, and still is but not like it was.

crazyaboutwildwood
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2007, 1:01am

Al, Incredible list. may I add one to the ancient list...... It would be KONG.  It was amazing, scary, creepy, fascinating, mysterious and so much more all in one!

IP Logged
Znorfmond

Home of the worlds
finest and safest
bathing beach

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2007, 8:22am

Two great lists but I would have to put the beach and boardwalk on both.
Also if you can but the boardwalk on, why not Hunts pier.
I'd also put Tram Car on the list

~Art
bigmikeyd1960
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2007, 11:00am

wow i forgot about kong,,,

mike
Cindy
God Member

proudly drinking the
kool aid

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2007, 7:24pm

I read the topic, then came up with my list (before reading Al's.... just to see the differences in what we came up with).

Here is my list:

1.      Huge beach – based on the tides, WW’s beach continues to grow  

2.      Where the bay and ocean meet – perhaps one of the most calming areas  

3.      Lighthouse – very unique look.  It is an oddity in that it is Swiss gothic.

4.      Boardwalk – sheer size alone would make this a wonder.  not to mention all of the rides.  

5.      Golden Nugget – this is a wonder in that it is still standing and still generates hopeful conversations about its future

6.      Concentration of DooWop architecture (motels) – Duh

7.      Triangle House – this is something that stops people in their tracks to say “what the heck is that?”

8.      Neon, neon, neon – it tranforms the island after the sun goes down.  You can’t resist driving around at night, staring at the signs

"Bobby Bright of the Wildwood Historical Society often refers to us as a cult . . ." Ralph Grassi
Cindy
God Member

proudly drinking the
kool aid

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2007, 7:26pm

Oops.. Blondie can't count... that's 8  Grin

"Bobby Bright of the Wildwood Historical Society often refers to us as a cult . . ." Ralph Grassi
wildwoodjms
Senior God Member

Michigan Girl Loves
Wildwood!!

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2007, 8:21pm

I would add the beach and all of Hunt's Pier.  With all the excietment and "awe" we all got when we first saw these two things, it had to be only wonderment.  

Not sure, did anyone include the "old rickety bridge" now it a "wonder" we all got across and got home over that!!

jackie

Jackie
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2007, 10:00pm

Nothing against Dracula's Castle but I think it should be replaced by Hunt's Pier.  Just my opinion, of course.

Hunt's Pier is a Wildwood icon, even after it was destroyed years ago.  You could pick a half dozen or so rides from that pier and add them to any list, so that makes the pier even more legendary.  Drac's Castle... that was nice, but it wasn't very old and I don't think it was nearly as significant as Hunt's Pier, especially in its heyday.

But I respect your list, Al... even if it's flawed Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print