Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Sep 2nd, 2014, 7:29am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Doo Wop Discussion #6: Carideon Motel (Read 10558 times)
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Doo Wop Discussion #6: Carideon Motel
Jul 13th, 2007, 11:18am

Carideon Motel

2200 Atlantic Avenue  
North Wildwood, NJ 08260  
(p)(609) 729-7900  

Doo Wop Discussion #5: SurfSide West Diner (Wildwood)
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1183739599

Doo Wop Discussion #4: Jolly Roger Motel (Wildwood Crest)
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1183094699

Doo Wop Discussion #3: Pink Champagne Motel (Wildwood)
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1182520248  

Doo Wop Discussion #2: New England Motel (North Wildwood)
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1181906799  

Doo Wop Discussion #1: Isle of Capri Motel (North Wildwood)
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1181234853  

Thanks again to everyone who has taken part in the discussions we've had thus far!

This week, we return to North Wildwood. The random drawing has selected the Carideon Motel, one of the larger motels in the area (yet a place that doesn't seem to get the recognition it deserves).

Official Website
http://www.carideonmotel.com/

‘Wildwood Doo Wop’ Profile Page
http://www.wildwooddoowop.com/doowopspots/?ID=199&page=5&limit=20&se lectuse=motel

The Carideon has long been a popular landmark for North Wildwood vacationers, thanks to its location, size and standout color scheme/layout.

Here's what we know (or don't know) about the motel, for starters...

- I have been unable to determine the origin of the 'Carideon' name, thus far. Preliminary online searches turn up only general information on the motel itself. My best guess is that the name is some sort of takeoff on 'Caribbean,' a motel name that had already been taken, obviously, when the Carideon was built.

- On that note, I'm also still trying to pinpoint the year the Carideon was built. I have heard various estimates, ranging from 1962-1975. Judging by the motel's appearance and design, I would guess it was built in the mid-late 60s.  

- The motel is located in the southern portion of North Wildwood, four blocks from the Wildwood border. While the 'Atlantic Ave. strip' is considered a main thoroughfare with a great deal of commercial activity in Wildwood (and, to some extent, in the Crest), the area in which the Carideon is located is comparitively quieter and more 'residential.'

- This area also includes the Cardinal and Lollipop motels, the Carideon's neighbors across 23rd Ave. to the south and southeast, respectively. The Athens Restaurant is a block south. Aside from the demolition of the Sun Haven Motel (located right next to the Lollipop) a few years ago, this area has changed very little over the past three decades or so.

- The Carideon is something of a North Wildwood adnormality, as it's block-long layout (it spans Atlantic Ave. from 22nd to 23rd) gives it an appearance similar to many of the longer, linear motel structures in the Crest, south of Cardinal Rd. However, while those motels in the Crest run east-west, the Carideon is situated north-south, with all rooms facing east (toward the ocean).

- As for the motel itself, the Carideon is a three story structure highlighted by its zigzagging roofline and balconies, bright orange (formerly yellow) room doors and curtains, and yellow brick room exterior room dividers and railings. These gaudy features give the motel a very unique, playfully inviting appearance.

- Signage is provided by large plastic script logos which are situated atop brown brick support walls on the southern and eastern (above the office area) portions of the motel.

- The Carideon has a large pool out front, which is protected from the street by parking. A number of white globe lights situated on orange-painted brick supports (which match the motel's room doors and curtains) outline the area.  

- There is also a one-floor extention near the northern end of the motel, which stretches from the base of the motel to the street (toward the east). This area houses the motel's office and game room. It's 'roof' serves as the a sundeck.

Anybody else...?  Wink

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Re: Doo Wop Discussion #6: Carideon Motel
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2007, 11:37am

another excellent hotel choice.... Never stayed there but always admired its condition. Kinda reminds me of the landmark and the Park Lane....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
Email View Profile   IP Logged
mickeyfinz
God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2007, 11:47am

If my memory serves me, it was built and owned by the Corrideo family and that's how it got it's name. I had a freind in the RE biz and he talked (very kindly) about them. I don't know if they are still involved, but several yrs ago I heard they were considering a condo conversion that looks like it nvr went thru.
Great location; Lollipop and Cardinal on different corners. So motels take up 3 corners! Another "unusual" for NW.

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2007, 12:01pm

Quote from FlyinGN on Jul 13th, 2007, 11:37am:
another excellent hotel choice.... Never stayed there but always admired its condition. Kinda reminds me of the landmark and the Park Lane....

I do see what you're saying about the resemblance to the Landmark and Park Lane, especially with the large, rectangular walls and some of the colors. The Park Lane is a little older, I think, but the Carideon and Landmark may have been built around the same time. I wonder...

The Carideon does always look to be in very good condition. I have to say, aside from a few very minor changes, this place looks almost exactly as I remember it when I was a kid.

Al Alven

Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2007, 12:08pm

Quote from mickeyfinz on Jul 13th, 2007, 11:47am:
If my memory serves me, it was built and owned by the Corrideo family and that's how it got it's name. I had a freind in the RE biz and he talked (very kindly) about them. I don't know if they are still involved, but several yrs ago I heard they were considering a condo conversion that looks like it nvr went thru.
Great location; Lollipop and Cardinal on different corners. So motels take up 3 corners! Another "unusual" for NW.

Thanks for the info, Mickey!

The name now makes more sense, being a play off of the Corrideo family name. I've found that a lot of older motels have (or had) name origins similar to this. That's a really neat way for a family to kind of put their own unique stamp on a place.

I also wonder if the Corrideos are still involved with the motel. I plan to write to them this weekend, and/or may stop by on my next trip down, to try and find out. I'm also interested in staying at the Carideon.

You're right about the location; it's terrific. It's relatively quiet back on that area of Atlantic, even at night. But, it's sort of 'festive' in it's own way, with the Carideon, Cardinal and Lollipop right there.

(Hey... after typing out that last paragraph, I wonder if 'Cardinal' was some sort of play on the Corrideo name as well. I have no idea whether the family owned that motel as well, but considering the similarity of the name and the proximity of the two motels, it does seem possible... or, it's just a coincidence... Hmmmm...)

I did not realize there was some sort of attempt in the works to do a 'condo conversion' with the Carideon. I wonder what happened, and/or whether that plan is still alive, in any form.  

Al Alven

mickeyfinz
God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2007, 12:41pm

No connection! The Cardinal pre-dates The other 2 motels by about 20 years. The Cardinal was owned and managed by a Polish family from Port Richmond, who I am sure are no longer there (or with us)

When we were first married (69, 70) we stayed at The Cardinal and across the street was where the Corrideo Family lived and built the motel on "family land". The Lollipop replaced a beautiful brick home with sweeping front steps that I think we have a pic with those steps in the bkgd.

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2007, 12:53pm

Cool, good to know; I figured it was worth taking a stab at.  Wink

I'm assuming the Cardinal's annex building (northwest corner of 24th & Atlantic) was built later. Also, I'm fairly certain that that motel's main building was originally two stories. The Cardinal also had a terrific roadside neon sign, originally. I'll try to dig up an old postcard.

So, the Corrideos previously lived in a house on the grounds where the Carideon stands today? Judging from your timeline, I also take it that the Carideon popped up some time in the early 70s. The DWPL map has the Lollipop listed as being built in 1970, though I know a lot of the dates on that are wrong.

Your description of the house that was replaced by the Lollipop reminds me of the home that still stands just north of the Lollipop, directly across Atlantic from the Carideon. It's a big, beautful brick house with features similar to the ones you mentioned.  

Do you know the one I'm talking about? It has always intrigued me; I wonder if it was similar (or, perhaps even identical) in design to the one that was replaced by the Lollipop.

I'll post a pic of it tonight... I'm sure I have one on my computer at home...

Al Alven

Doo Wop Mike D
DWPL Forum Administrator

DWPL Web Guy

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2007, 1:16pm

Good discussion topic, Al...

The Carideon has always been one of the more intriguing motels to me... perhaps because of the interesting contrast of being VERY Doo Wop in design, while being somewhat off the beaten path and in a more residential area (except for the Lollipop and Cardinal, as you guys have already discussed) creating a little mini-neighborhood of Doo Wop isolated from the rest...

The orange paint job was done over the past couple of years... prior to that, it had an equally funky yellow-and-brown color scheme, with the red sign on pylons on each side of the building... along with the ziz-zag balconies, the Cardieon is a good example of how some of the more interesting Doo Wop designs actually came rather late in what we think of as the Doo Wop period (I don't have an exact date... but mid-late '60s sounds about right)

Mickeyfinz is correct that the name Carideon was derived from the original owners' family name... I didn't remember the name off the top of my head, but knew I had come across that tidbit somewhere... thanks for clarifying!

Given its somewhat remote location amidst a rather residential neigbhorhood in North Wildwood, I always assumed the Carideon would be a good candidate for condo-conversion... I wouldn't have a problem with it, so long as they preserve and make a virtue of the really funky retro vibe the building has.. don't give it the vinyl siding treatment that so many other motel-converters have made the mistake of doing... the Carideon has real character and could be an affordable condo complex with a real "hip factor" if they did it right... (interiors included)...

I have some interesting pictures of the back of this building (taken from the backyard of an adjacent property) and depending on your point of view, you might think really hideous, or really cool... I'll try to dig them up and post...

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2007, 11:24am

Great pick, Al.  The Carideon seems to get forgotten or not noticed by some, which is probably influenced by it's location, though the Lollipop always seemed to be pretty well known.

It's a cool looking, nicely designed Motel.  The outside always looks very good whenever I pass it.  I'm not sure if the interiors are in need of a renovation/remodel/enhancement or not.  IMO, judging from the pictures on their site, they probably could - maybe they could do something that better compliments the exterior...

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
beachrat
Senior God Member

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2007, 11:47am

I'm sure the Carideon was there when we stayed at the Ivanhoe in '74.  And I know a guy that my father worked with stayed at the Lollipop in either '71 or '72.

I always liked the style of the Carideon, and it's always appeared to be very well kept up.  Never stayed there, though - too far back from the beach for our taste.

View Profile   IP Logged
WildMan
Ultimate God Member

Reply #10 - Jul 16th, 2007, 9:30pm

Thanks to many of you here, I decided to look beyond the familiar Crest and look around the rest of the island, including North Wildwood.  I came across the Carideon a few days ago and while I knew absolutely nothing about it at the time, I'm sure that's going to change over the next few days.  Good choice, Al.  Oh wait... the selections are random, right? Wink

I was wondering about the origin of that name.  Not exactly an expected moniker for a motel.

View Profile   IP Logged
Doo Wop Mike D
DWPL Forum Administrator

DWPL Web Guy

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2007, 9:56pm

Here's a pic of the back of the Carideon Motel, taken from the backyard of an adjacent property... Is it hideous? Maybe... but I just thought there was something really cool about the look of this... with the brown and yellow panels, and the orange curtains in the windows... so groovy and mod looking... hideously ugly yet I can't look away... something like that...

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2007, 10:02pm

Thanks Mike - I've never seen that.  There's something interesting about the pattern...

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
WildMan
Ultimate God Member

Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2007, 10:06pm

I don't think it's hideous at all.  In fact, I really like it.

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #14 - Jul 17th, 2007, 10:17am

I like it tooSmiley

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print