Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Oct 31st, 2014, 9:43pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Advice needed for Fifties Weekend (Read 4532 times)
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Advice needed for Fifties Weekend
Jul 17th, 2007, 9:25am

My wife and I are planning to attend our first Fifties Weekend in Wildwood this October.  While we have nothing against the Cape Cod Inn that has been part of my Wildwood past for 29 years, we were thinking of trying someplace different... after all, there are so many motels that we have yet to try.  I think we've narrowed the list down to a few choices, so perhaps a few of you can help us decide?

Caribbean- It's the poster child for all things Doo Wop.  We checked out a room and it was really nice.  I'm sure some people on this site have stayed there- any comments?

Royal Hawaiian- I never walked by this place until this year and was shocked at how nice it looked.  I've never heard too much about the place.  Is that a bad thing, or does it mean that no one on the boards has stayed there?

Ala Kai- It looks so nice from the outside.  What's it like inside?

Waikiki- Looks nice.

Maybe someone else has another suggestion?  We're looking to stay in the Crest so you may want to keep that in mind.  Also keep in mind that any motel we pick will ultimately depend on whether it has a room available for that weekend.  I understand that many motels fill up early.

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Re: Advice needed for Fifties Weekend
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2007, 9:38am

I believe that the Caribbean and Bel Air are already booked solid for 50s Weekend, for what it's worth.

I've heard really good things about the Aztec and American Safari nearby. I'm not sure what room availability might be like for those motels at that time, but they could be worth a look.

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2007, 12:03pm

I actually forgot to include those two on my list, as they were places that I have been considering for a long time.  I'll have to check them out- and soon!

View Profile   IP Logged
shoregirl

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2007, 12:12pm

Try the Nassau Inn - they have the packages for that weekend.  We stay at the Starlux - it's closer and you can walk to the convention center.  We have gone to the 50's & 60's weekends since they began.  They are wonderful!!  Except for Micky Dolenz - oh God - he sucked last year - half the people got up and walked out!!!  Peter Noone was wonderful though.  The 50's weekend is better I think than the 60's - but then I like the 50's music better too.  I'm 53 - grew up in the 60's too - but hated the late 60's when all the groups got into drugs - the idiots!!!  We were down for the "Girl Power" concert on 7/7/07 - that was a good show too.  I wish though that the 50's & 60's weekend were run by ticket-tron like they do for the other concerts.  In order to get good seats you have to get in line early.  Every year so far we had at least a seat in the 1st 4 rows - center stage.  Wink  Good luck - it's a great weekend - Lou Costello and Rick Rock are terrific guys and Joey M. that has La Piazza restaurant is a wonderful guy that helps put these weekends all together.

View Profile   IP Logged
ilovewildwood
God Member

Save the motels

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2007, 12:24pm

I stay at the Starlux, too...to avoid having to deal with the parking. I remember lines about a block long waiting to get into the lot last year. I also like the Pan American because they have a coffee shop, and, at least in past years, there aren't that many places open to get breakfast at the end of October. They've refurbished their rooms, and they have a nice doo wop feel.

I've heard that the Caribbean's the most fun, but, like Al said, I'm pretty sure they're booked.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
mickeyfinz
God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #5 - Jul 17th, 2007, 1:08pm

Wouldn't it be great if the Tram Cars were running in order to get people to and from Convention Hall?

That way, motels in NW could participate too! As well as reduce the demand on the lots!

View Profile   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #6 - Jul 17th, 2007, 2:20pm

I just booked a room at the American Safari- I think it was their last room (the Aztek has some still available).  The rate was fantastic and according to TripAdvisor, most people absolutely love the place.  I'm psyched- I've been looking at that motel for years and have always been curious about it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #7 - Jul 17th, 2007, 7:55pm

Great to hear, Rob!  Cheesy

I'm sure you'll have a blast on 50s Weekend. The American Safari looks like a great place. We may try to book a room at the Aztec that weekend. Still not sure we'll be free, but we're shooting for it (I know, I probably don't have much time to waste!)...

Al Alven

Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2007, 9:21pm

That means you'll be a few yards away.  Man, I hope you end up being free that weekend!  Like I said, the Aztec sounds like it has a few rooms still available.

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2007, 9:25pm

Quote from Rob Ascough on Jul 17th, 2007, 9:21pm:
That means you'll be a few yards away. Man, I hope you end up being free that weekend! Like I said, the Aztec sounds like it has a few rooms still available.

That would be great, wouldn't it? It's just a matter of my wife figuring out her schedule (things are a bit sketchy, because she's entering into the 'apprenticeship' portion of her grad school tenure). Hopefully, we'll determine that we're free and clear in a day or so, and will be able to go for it!

Al Alven

Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2007, 9:26pm

Please keep me updated.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for the both of us Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
crazyaboutwildwood
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2007, 11:07pm

It looks like you made a good choice. For anyone else, The Crusader seems to be very nice and they are open till november 3rd, according to there website. I might be trying out the crsader this fall.

IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2007, 11:17pm

Quote from crazyaboutwildwood on Jul 17th, 2007, 11:07pm:
It looks like you made a good choice. For anyone else, The Crusader seems to be very nice and they are open till november 3rd, according to there website. I might be trying out the crsader this fall.

My interest in the Crusader has definitely been piqued by Frank's comment about the new postcard book ("Looks the Crusader is the winner so far for not changing ONE thing for 40 years"). That's the way I like 'em, uh huh uh huh... Wink (But do they have any jalousies?  Cool)

Kathi
My eye sees the Atlantis condo, but my heart sees the Atlantis Lodge
click here for Wildwoods slide shows
View Profile   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2007, 11:27pm

Not that I know of, just standard doors.  I've never stayed at the Crusader but it seems to be a very nice place.  I've wandered around it many times and I know I wouldn't mind staying there.

View Profile   IP Logged
ilovewildwood
God Member

Save the motels

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2007, 2:49am

Another place I've heard good things about is the Armada. I've never stayed there, but I know it's been owned by the same family for a long time (nice people) and they're DWPL members.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print