Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Nov 27th, 2014, 10:52pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Doo Wop Discussion #13: Schellenger's Restaurant (Read 15740 times)
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Doo Wop Discussion #13: Schellenger's Restaurant
Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:34am

Schellenger's Restaurant
3516 Atlantic Avenue  
Wildwood, NJ 08260  
(p): (609) 522-0433  

Official Website
[N/A]

Wildwood Doo Wop Profile
http://www.wildwooddoowop.com/doowopspots/?ID=642

The ones that came before this one

Doo Wop Discussion #12: Blue Water Motel (Wildwood Crest)
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1188571525

Doo Wop Discussion #11: Sea Shell Motel (Wildwood)
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1187359905  

Doo Wop Discussion #10: Florentine Motor Inn (North Wildwood)  
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1186753986  

Doo Wop Discussion #9: Sea Gull Motel (Wildwood)  
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1186152373    

Doo Wop Discussion #8: Astronaut Motel (Wildwood Crest)  
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1185547540    

Doo Wop Discussion #7: Bonito Motel (Wildwood)  
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1184945900      

Doo Wop Discussion #6: Carideon Motel (North Wildwood)    
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1184339880      

Doo Wop Discussion #5: SurfSide West Diner (Wildwood)  
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1183739599      

Doo Wop Discussion #4: Jolly Roger Motel (Wildwood Crest)  
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1183094699      

Doo Wop Discussion #3: Pink Champagne Motel (Wildwood)  
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1182520248        

Doo Wop Discussion #2: New England Motel (North Wildwood)  
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1181906799        

Doo Wop Discussion #1: Isle of Capri Motel (North Wildwood)    
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1181234853

Al and I were keeping up with this weekly feature for a while but I suppose "life" got in the way of both of us and resulted in it dying a slow death.  Until now, that is.  November is upon us, winter is around the corner and for the majority of us, a sun-drenched Wildwood vacation is months and months away.  What better way to warm our chilly spirits with some Doo Wop Discussions?

Moving back to Wildwood, this week's featured landmark isn't a motel but is still one of the most recognizable businesses on the island.  How can you possible ignore a building that appears to have had an entire marina crash land upon its roof?  Not-so-coincidentally located at the intersection of Atlantic and Schellenger, this restaurant has long been a Wildwood tradition for many.  The Wildwood Doo Wop site doesn't reveal much about this Jersey shore treasure but maybe we can discover a few things about it through conversation?

The stage is yours!

View Profile   IP Logged
bigmikeyd1960
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: Doo Wop Discussion #13: Schellenger's Restaura
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:09am

one of our favorite restaurants,,we go at least once everytime we go down,,,,i understand they try to add something new on the roof every year,,,its been there from 77 or 78,,,i believe it was another restaurant before,

mike
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:31am

I always wondered if the roof was a work-in-progress.  I want to say I spot something new up there every year but there's so much, it's hard to tell.

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:32pm

odd restaurant.. Never went there until 2 years ago... Passed it and always thought it would be a cool 'old' place to eat and we tried it 2 summers ago. It was ok. Went back this past summer and it was still 'just ok' Maybe we got a few 'average' meals and its actually better then we find it to be.. The reports about it seem good.. What a neat looking landmark tho..   Id rank it somewhere around Neils..  

BTW before 1978 it was called  El Rancho steakhouse..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 1:19pm

Thanks for restarting the 'DWD,' Rob. I've been wanted to do this for weeks now...

Wanna handle this on a bi-weekly basis? I'll take next week. If anyone else wants to lead off a discussion and pick a topic, of course you are welcome!  

Now... Schellenger's Restaurant... an old favorite...

OK, actually I've only eaten there twice. Both were decent meals; nothing fantastic, but solid. It's more of a landmark to me, but my parents love the place, have gotten to know the owners a bit, and eat there at least twice every year.

I remember Thom mentioning a while back that it was a steakhouse at one time, so thanks for confirming that, Frank. I wonder exactly how old the building is, and when it became Schellenger's. The Boardwalk Bar & Grille at the other end of that block (on Atlantic at Cedar) used to be the entrance to Phil & Eddie's Surf Club, I believe. Was Schellenger's part of that club at one time?

The roof, as mentioned, is the main attraction from the outside. Even in the winter, I love passing by and checking it out. There was some talk a few years ago that when the Shell Shop in North Wildwood closed (probably around 02-04), the owners of Schellenger's acquired a massive quantity of their stock and used it to decorate the roof. I'm not exactly sure if and/or to what extent that is true. But, it seems highly plausible. (I feel like we've discussed this aspect before, but I can't remember now.)

Anyway, you have to love the attention to detail of the various design points...

Did anyone notice that the owners added blinking 'booey' lights to the roof last season (2006)? Imagining the building as a ship, the lights on the 'starboard' side (facing Schellenger Ave.) are green, while the ones on the 'port' side (Atlantic Ave.) are red.

Pretty cool, huh?  Wink

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #5 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 2:02pm

Sounds like a good plan to me Al.  And if something happens with either of us and we can't post our updates, maybe we could cover each other so there's no lapse?  Now that winter is approaching, it'd be nice to keep this going!

I regret to admit that we've never eaten there.  For some reason I am never able to convince the family to give it a shot.  My logic is, if the place looks that ridiculous, it has to be great!  Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case.  Still, I'd like to give it a shot next year.

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 2:07pm

The plan sounds perfect to me, my friend!  Cheesy

I would recommend Schellenger's, as long as the people you are going with are seafood lovers. There are 'better' restaurants out there, I guess, but the food is very good and the atmosphere (something I put a lot of value in) is well worth it.

Al Alven

Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 2:13pm

Years ago I probably would have said there are better seafood restaurants out there but lately we haven't had luck with seafood in the Wildwoods, even at the places we always frequented.  Uries has gone downhill, The Wharf was mediocre and the Boathouse was decent but nothing special.  Even my last meal at the Lobster House wasn't anything to write home about.

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 2:48pm

I haven't been to Urie's in years, and have never been to The Wharf, Boathouse or Lobster House. We have a few places we tend to stick to as well, though I like to try to hit as many 'new' places each season as possible.

I guess the lines can be blurred a bit when talking about 'seafood restaurants' in the Wildwoods, because most places serve seafood, even if it isn't neccessarily their specialty. I've been ordering the seafood combo at Groff's for about 20 years now, for instance. Also had one of the best stuffed crab meals I've enjoyed in a while at Kelly's Cafe, of all places, in August. Pretty much everything at places like Neil's and Little Italy is top-notch.

Seafood is just about all I order when I'm in Wildwood, save for pizza stops, naturally. Aside from Schellenger's, the only hardcore 'seafood' place we tend to hit once a year is the Lobster Shack. Again, nothing incredibly special there, but a good meal for the (early bird) prices you tend to pay.

Anyway, getting back on track, Schellenger's just might be one of the better seafood places around, depending on your tastes. And, with seafood, a great meal to one person could be very lousy and sub par to the next. Aside from Schellenger's, how many places are left that carry that tried-and-true 'nautical' theme. All of the places Rob mentioned fit the bill. Obviously, the Captain's Table used to... any others come to mind...?

Al Alven

mickeyfinz
God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 3:32pm

Can honestly say that in all the yrs I have been going to the WW's I have nvr been there! Guess I can apply the Yogi-ism..."No body goes there any more, it's too crowded!"  I stay away from restaurants with lines and that place always seemed to have people waiting (that is even before the No Smoking Regs). I like places that take reservations too! (Alfe's, The Wharf, and can't think of any other). My best friends found a little (new?) restaurant on Pacific Ave named "Dominic's" and they raved about the food, service and owners.
My favorite seafood restaurant is The Beach Creek Oyster House. Fairly pricey, but I was nevr disappointed.
Leaving here in about 1 hour and am NW bound for the W/E. Gonna' get blwn away by Noel!  embarrassed

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 3:49pm

I can see where you're coming from, avoiding all of the 'tourist traps.' Some turn out to be worth it, while others just aren't worth the wait, in any number of ways.

I still have yet to check out the Beach Creek and Alfie's. Dominic's does sound promising; will have to look into that one.

Good luck Mickey, and to all property owners in the Wildwoods this weekend. Let's hope the storm turns out to be a dud, and that there is no (or very minimal) damage done...

Al Alven

Sean Carragher
God Member

Aloha

Reply #11 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 3:53pm

Ate there for my one & only time in the summer of 2006.  And of course, me being me, what did I order in a SEAFOOD restaurant???  Spaghetti & Meatballs.  Grin  (What can I say, I LOVE Italian food.)  Thought the meal and the salad before it were "okay", but nothing that knocked my red sox off.  The spaghetti & meatballs I had at Little Italy this past summer was FAR superior.  What drew me to Schellenger's is what you guys have been talking about: the cool appearance.  I love nautical-themed places, so this place was like the mothership to me.  I sat at the small bar in the back right of the place.  I struck up some good conversation with the bartender, who was a very nice lady, as well as a couple visiting from Baltimore sitting next to me.  I agree with Al, atmosphere at a restaurant scores big points with me, and I liked the atmosphere in this place a lot.  I remember it being a hot day when I went there, and the air conditioning was "just right"; know what I mean?  It was great just to hang out and shoot the breeze about Wildwood in a relaxed atmosphere for an hour or so.  In addition to all the cool stuff they had on the roof, they also had some nice sea-worthy items inside the restaurant as well.  I plan on staying at The Beach Terrace Motor Inn in 2008, so I'll definitely be visiting Schellenger's again, since it's right next store.   And this time I'll actually try some SEAFOOD.  Wink

-Sean    

Moving to the Wildwoods someday.........
bigmikeyd1960
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #12 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 3:58pm

for italian i wouldnt go to schellengers,,,little italy,russos ,piros or ravioli house

mike
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #13 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 4:01pm

Quote from scarragher on Nov 2nd, 2007, 3:53pm:
Ate there for my one & only time in the summer of 2006.  And of course, me being me, what did I order in a SEAFOOD restaurant???  Spaghetti & Meatballs.  Grin  (What can I say, I LOVE Italian food.)  Thought the meal and the salad before it were "okay", but nothing that knocked my red sox off.  The spaghetti & meatballs I had at Little Italy this past summer was FAR superior.  What drew me to Schellenger's is what you guys have been talking about: the cool appearance.  I love nautical-themed places, so this place was like the mothership to me.  I sat at the small bar in the back right of the place.  I struck up some good conversation with the bartender, who was a very nice lady, as well as a couple visiting from Baltimore sitting next to me.  I agree with Al, atmosphere at a restaurant scores big points with me, and I liked the atmosphere in this place a lot.  I remember it being a hot day when I went there, and the air conditioning was "just right"; know what I mean?  It was great just to hang out and shoot the breeze about Wildwood in a relaxed atmosphere for an hour or so.  In addition to all the cool stuff they had on the roof, they also had some nice sea-worthy items inside the restaurant as well.  I plan on staying at The Beach Terrace Motor Inn in 2008, so I'll definitely be visiting Schellenger's again, since it's right next store.   And this time I'll actually try some SEAFOOD.  Wink

-Sean    

You know, Sean, I completely forgot about that little bar area in the back. It has a very 'throw back' look and feel to it, almost harkening back to another time. Very 'Doo Wop' in it's own way, with that special 'Wildwood' twist. I'm really glad you mentioned it.

There's also a rather hokey mural of a muscular pirate guy on the wall, which cracked me up both times I was there.  

Perhaps we'll get the chance to meet up for dinner at Schellenger's next year!  Cheesy

Al Alven

hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #14 - Nov 2nd, 2007, 9:46pm

This is a place I have passed a milloin times and never gone into once. It does seem like every year more stuff goes on that roof.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print