Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Dec 18th, 2014, 5:28am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Magnolia Motel (Read 5477 times)
rosiebear1

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Magnolia Motel
Mar 9th, 2008, 2:58pm

Just read in the Gazette Leader that the Magnolia Motel on Pacific Ave. was demolished this week.  I am guessing the restaurant is gone too--I believe that was right underneath the motel.

View Profile   IP Logged
scca28
Senior God Member

Got Sand On My
Fudgie Wudgie!.

Re: Magnolia Motel
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2008, 3:25pm

Quote from rosiebear1 on Mar 9th, 2008, 2:58pm:
Just read in the Gazette Leader that the Magnolia Motel on Pacific Ave. was demolished this week.  I am guessing the restaurant is gone too--I believe that was right underneath the motel.

Are you talking about the Magnolia House??? Glad I snapped this picture last summer. Goodby to another old favorite of ours....

Dave
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2008, 5:16pm

I'm confused. The Magnolia Motel was on East Magnolia Ave (per Wildwood Doo Wop and other sources) and was already gone, or at least no longer known by that name, based on a quick search? And the phone number listed for it in various guides (522-2114) is disconnected. Looks like there are brand new vinyl boxes there already (click for aerial view). The Magnolia Restaurant, however, is/was on Pacific Ave. The place in Dave's photo occupies the 2800 block of Pacific Ave (got a clue to that from the listing for the Sparatan [Spartan?] Apartments in Wildwood Doo Wop, with a 2810 address, which it says were attached to the restaurant before being demolished recently... yeah, I love a wild goose chase). Aerial view here. Seems likely this is what was demolished. Considering that Dave's photo was taken in season, it looks like the restaurant was already closed and he figured he might be grabbing one last view of it...

Kathi
My eye sees the Atlantis condo, but my heart sees the Atlantis Lodge
click here for Wildwoods slide shows •
View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2008, 5:27pm

I love a good puzzle...  Wink

Kathi, you're right that the Magnolia Motel on E. Magnolia was razed a few years ago. If you are familiar with the Arlington Hotel (tall green building that still dominates that area of Wildwood), the Magnolia was directly across the street. In its final years, it was known as the Deco Motel.

The rooms above the old Magnolia Restaurant (on Pacific) from Dave's photos operated at one time as the Sparatan Apts. This name is taken from an old postcard, so I assume that the name is right. Although, as you point out, it may have been misspelled, and was supposed to be 'Spartan.' If it was correct, I guess Sparatan was the name of the family that owned it...?

It is also very possible that those units operated under the name 'Magnolia Apts.' at one point.  

Additionally, there is an L-shaped, three (maybe four?) story structure directly behind the Magnolia House complex that looks like it might have functioned as a motel/apt. house in a previous life. I'm not positive that it did, but if so, I wonder if it was connected to the restaurant/apts. directly in front of it.  

Furthermore, I'm not sure whether this building has survived the restaurant building or not. Assuming that the units have more recently been used as condos, I would guess that it has.

... Have I just made this more confusing?  Huh

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2008, 6:24pm

Quote from Al Alven on Mar 9th, 2008, 5:27pm:
Have I just made this more confusing? Huh

LOL, no, less confusing to me, because you made me look at Dave's picture differently. I wasn't thinking of that second floor (with the deck) as rental rooms, I just kind of assumed it was part of the restaurant. Knowing those are rooms up there, it seems even more likely to me that this is the place referred to in the news that Rosie saw.

You also made this more interesting, because based on your additional info, I see another little puzzle.  

There are two buildings behind the Magnolia. There's the older one, with a mostly green roof, on the north side of the lot—that's the one you were speculating about, I believe? The other one, with its brown roof and the ubiquitous beige walls, looks pretty new.  

Except in this view. See how the whole thing is brown? You and Znorfmond have pointed out elsewhere that Microsoft Virtual Earth will sometimes throw you a mixed bag of views, in terms of timeline. I think this is one of those cases. Do you suppose that is the Sparatan (or Spartan) Motel we're seeing on its last legs there? Smiley

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2008, 6:47pm

Actually, I was referring to the structure on the south side of the lot, with the brown roof...

Great find with the older view of the building. Yeah, Virtual Earth is very odd, in that a little 'tweak' here or there could lead to a random view from four or five years ago. In this image, the building in question looks more like an old rooming house, perhaps. But, I'm sure it could have served the same function (apt. room rentals).

I had prevously thought that it might have been a two/three story motel room that had an additional floor added upon being 'converted' in recent years. Either way, judging by the extremely close proximity of this building to the Magnolia House complex (in some views the two structures almost look as if they are attached), I would bet that they were 'connected' in some way...

Al Alven

Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2008, 6:55pm

Forgot to add...

As for the structure(s?) on the north side of that lot, that looks like the remnants (?) of one of the older hotels, many of which are still standing in that area. I took a walk through that neighborhood last year, and was very surprised by what was still there. Take a look at some of the structures in the area around the Magnolia House in the Virtual Earth link Kathi provided... especially the block to the immediate east (both sides).

There are some stately old manors within a stone's throw.  Shocked

Al Alven

fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2008, 8:09pm

Quote from Al Alven on Mar 9th, 2008, 6:47pm:
Actually, I was referring to the structure on the south side of the lot, with the brown roof...

Great find with the older view of the building. Yeah, Virtual Earth is very odd, in that a little 'tweak' here or there could lead to a random view from four or five years ago. In this image, the building in question looks more like an old rooming house, perhaps. But, I'm sure it could have served the same function (apt. room rentals).[

I had prevously thought that it might have been a two/three story motel room that had an additional floor added upon being 'converted' in recent years. Either way, judging by the extremely close proximity of this building to the Magnolia House complex (in some views the two structures almost look as if they are attached), I would bet that they were 'connected' in some way...

Yeah, I see what you mean, those two buildings are awfully close together.  

When I first saw the view that differed from the others I jumped to the conclusion that I was looking at an older building that had been completely demolished and replaced, it looked so ratty. But on closer inspection it appears that we're just seeing the same structure before and after a major renovation.  

In questioning whether the all-brown building could be the Sparatan/Spartan, I completely forgot you'd said that was the name of the operating entity for the rental rooms on the second floor above the restaurant. I was stuck on the idea that the Sparatan/Spartan was a separate structure because that was my interpretation of the info on Wildwood Doo Wop, which reads: "The Sparatan consisted of efficiency units that were connected to the Magnolia Restaurant. The structure sat vacant in recent years, and was finally demolished after the 2007 season." (That copy was last updated in December.)

So I'm back to being confused... what was it that sat vacant and was demolished last year? (And of course my confusion is compounded because we still don't know for sure what went down—pun intended—last week.)

As you can tell, I'm not too intimate with that part of Wildwood, and Pacific Ave as a whole is still a bunch of disjointed parts in my head. I'm definitely going to take a walk around the vicinity of that restaurant (or its vacant lot as the case may be Sad ) next time I'm down there.

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
wildre
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2008, 8:29pm

The Magnolia House, at least the restaurant part has been closed for several years. Every time I drove by it was always closed. The odd thing is it looked like the tables were all set, even down to tablecloths, artificial flowers in the vases. I always seemed to catch that light, LOL, so I took in my surroundings. It was like it was ready for customer.It appeared, that there were people living above it. Bikes chained, trashcans being used, occasionally people walking around the property. It's like the restaurant portion was in a time warp, I always found that very eerie.
This property was discussed here, scca's got a postcard.
http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204474231/3#3
mickey mentions  "Magnolia Restaurant. They are converting it to condos (upstairs) and retail on street level."
here  http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204501287/23#23
Here's the link to the article rosie mentioned http://www.thewildwoodleader.com/ front page at the bottom
Kathi, I wouldn't walk around that area alone, bike it, or drive. I never felt real safe around there, just my own feelings around that area.  Wink

Please Support Our Troops!
www.americasupportsyou.mil/americasupportsyou/index.aspx
Email View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2008, 8:50pm

Quote from wildre on Mar 9th, 2008, 8:29pm:
Here's the link to the article rosie mentioned http://www.thewildwoodleader.com/ front page at the bottom

Oh, silly me, I should have looked there but the word "Gazette" threw me off. So, that settles that, RIP Magnolia Motel/Restaurant/House/whatever. Sad, but I guess good in a way, I hate seeing places just dormant for years like that—especially if they look sort of haunted as you describe. Better they should be remembered as they were enjoyed. Thanks for all the info and reminders of other threads—we've been talking about so many places lately, and my brain is a little leaky until further notice, LOL. I should always use the search function first instead of relying on my memory as to whether something has been discussed before.

Quote:
Kathi, I wouldn't walk around that area alone, bike it, or drive. I never felt real safe around there, just my own feelings around that area. Wink

Noted, thanks, I'll be careful.

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
scca28
Senior God Member

Got Sand On My
Fudgie Wudgie!.

Reply #10 - Mar 9th, 2008, 10:05pm

Hope this helps someone, I guess... Cheesy I got lost in the above posts, need to go back and read again when I'm more awake.  Wink
Anyway, enjoy! Check out how the building's looks had changed in the photo I posted earlier. I'll always remember the pink benches by the front door.

Dave
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #11 - Mar 9th, 2008, 10:08pm

Thanks, Dave! Well, we at least know that it was 'Spartan.'  Wink

Al Alven

wildre
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2008, 10:13pm

I didn't know it had a gift shop. Reminds me of the Sand Castle in WC?

Please Support Our Troops!
www.americasupportsyou.mil/americasupportsyou/index.aspx
Email View Profile   IP Logged
scca28
Senior God Member

Got Sand On My
Fudgie Wudgie!.

Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2008, 10:35pm

Check out the shot of the dining tables. You can see a Moo Cow Creamer on the closest table. I recently got a "ask you waitress" version on ebay. I remember drinking chocolate milk from a straw through the back of the cow's head. Smiley Now I need to find the matching salt & pepper shaker...
I don't remember buying anything from the gift shop, but I know the creamers and such were sold at the restaurant cash register counter.

Dave
rosiebear1

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2008, 7:07am

Sorry for the confusion, everyone.  I knew the restaurant was called  the Magnolia because we used to go there for breakfast...I remember those moo cow creamers...and cups.  Didn't realize the motel was a different  name.
I too, thought it was odd how the tables remained set up even when no longer in business.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print