Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Jul 23rd, 2014, 4:07pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
OLD WILDWOOD LANDMARKS (Read 20497 times)
jmbcpa1

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

OLD WILDWOOD LANDMARKS
Jul 8th, 2008, 3:42pm

Is Russo's Italian Restaurant in North Wildwood still open?

Does anyone remember Maggio's Italian Market on Pacific Ave?

I know that it is long gone, but they had the best Italian coldcuts and rolls in all of the Wildwoods.

jmbcpa1@aol.com

jmbcpa1
Email View Profile WWW jmbcpa1   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Re: OLD WILDWOOD LANDMARKS
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2008, 3:47pm

There is a well known deli and market at 9th & Ocean called Russo's, but I don't think that is the same place you are referring to. Do you remember where the restaurant in North Wildwood was?

Maggio's... sounds incredibly familiar, but I can't place it...

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2008, 10:04pm

Russos restaurant is in Wildwood and it it still open. Russos deli is in North WW

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
Email View Profile   IP Logged
crazyaboutwildwood
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2008, 10:50pm

Correct! Russos Italian restaurant is back on park blvd. Russos Deli is up ion north Wildwood. I like russos sandwiches. Always a line in that place. Never been to Russos Itl Rest.

IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2008, 1:09am

Yeah, Jim, I remember Maggio's.  

I wouldn't call it "long gone"—seems to me I walked by it only a few years ago. But that could be my warped sense of time at work, since I also remember the Battle of Gettysburg, and Bea Arthur and I had a regular play date. Grin  

I'm sure Maggio's was there well into the '90s anyway. My father used to go there for rolls, too, on the morning runs when he would sneak out for provisions, a/k/a indulging in the daily escape from the womenfolk. (The tiny size of our family made other escape routes impractical. Cool)

Kathi
My eye sees the Atlantis condo, but my heart sees the Atlantis Lodge
• click here for Wildwoods slide shows •
View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2008, 3:31am

Quote from Kathi on Jul 9th, 2008, 1:09am:
... and Bea Arthur and I had a regular play date.

Haha, extra points for that one...  Grin

Do you remember around where Maggio's was located on Pacific? I have a very vague memory of this place, I think, but I can't quite place it.

As for "Russo's," in addition to the deli/market in NW and the restaurant of the same name that still operates on Park Ave. in WW proper, I believe there might also have been a "Russo's Restaurant" (completely separate entity from the others) in NW. Not sure about that, though, and would need someone to confirm...

Al Alven

Znorfmond

Home of the worlds
finest and safest
bathing beach

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2008, 3:59am

Al's right there was a Russo's restaurant in NWW I believe it was open as late as 06. It was on the north side of one of the # streets some where between 5th and 11th if I remember correctly. I ate there once in the mid 90s it was O.K. but nothing special and obviously not very memorable.

~Art
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2008, 4:10am

That sounds about right from what I can remember, Art.  

Funny, though, I can't seem to find a listing anywhere online. And, I agree, I'm fairly sure it was still in operation just a few years ago.

Al Alven

fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2008, 4:43am

Quote from Al Alven on Jul 9th, 2008, 3:31am:
Do you remember around where Maggio's was located on Pacific? I have a very vague memory of this place, I think, but I can't quite place it.

Within a block or two north or south of the Boyer Museum site (Spicer/Spencer), I believe, but my recollection is also vague. Since it was on Dad's early morning route, I very rarely got the chance to actually go to Maggio's. I'd wake up to the sound of him trying not very successfully to make a catlike exit from the motel room. Cool

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2008, 6:42am

wow, Kathi, that sentence brought back memories. I too remember my Dad doing same thing to get rolls in WW in the late 60's.. .I can still see him in the darkness of the room and can still hear the seagulls making their morning sounds.  Smiley  

[quote author=Kathi link=1215546174/0#8 date=1215593012]Quote from Al Alven on Jul 9th, 2008, 3:31am:
I'd wake up to the sound of him trying not very successfully to make a catlike exit from the motel room. Cool

fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2008, 6:46am

Hehe, glad I wasn't the only one getting left out of the fun. To this day, walking or driving, we love to go out on any errand in Wildwood, right? I know part of the strategic thinking, though, was that if only Dad goes shopping, not as much money gets spent. Wink Maybe that was on your dad's mind, too?

Quote from FlyinGN on Jul 9th, 2008, 6:42am:
wow, Kathi, that sentence brought back memories. I too remember my Dad doing same thing to get rolls in WW in the late 60's.. .I can still see him in the darkness of the room and can still hear the seagulls making their morning sounds. Smiley

Quote from Kathi on Jul 9th, 2008, 4:43am:
I'd wake up to the sound of him trying not very successfully to make a catlike exit from the motel room. Cool

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2008, 6:50am

maybe... lol... I think too (like myself) that he just loved the early mornings in Wildwood.. Loved the calm in the air. The smell of the ocean.. .... I do the same thing. My Son and I get up early the first morning we wake up there and walk the beach. its a VERY special time for us..Smiley

uote author=Kathi link=1215546174/0#10 date=1215600416]Hehe, glad I wasn't the only one getting left out of the fun. To this day, walking or driving, we love to go out on any errand in Wildwood, right? I know part of the strategic thinking, though, was that if only Dad goes shopping, not as much money gets spent. Wink Maybe that was on your dad's mind, too?

Quote from FlyinGN on Jul 9th, 2008, 6:42am:
wow, Kathi, that sentence brought back memories. I too remember my Dad doing same thing to get rolls in WW in the late 60's.. .I can still see him in the darkness of the room and can still hear the seagulls making their morning sounds.  Smiley  

Quote from Kathi on Jul 9th, 2008, 4:43am:

[/quote]

bigmikeyd1960
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #12 - Jul 9th, 2008, 8:05am

maggios was on taylor & pacific,,,i should know my 1st year living in ww was an apartment right above it!!!,,the other years i lived in nww at 17th & nj

mike
jerseygirl

"Oh those
Wildwood Days"

Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2008, 9:44am

I remember Maggio's very well.  As for a Russo's Rest. in NW - I honestly don't remember ever seeing it.  I've lived here all my life.  I know the market on Ocean.  Between 5th & llth, I can't recall anything.

Karen
mickeyfinz
God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2008, 10:20am

Russo's Restaurant has been a WW fixture for 84 years. It is on Park Blvd across from Otten's Harbor. Up for sale!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print