Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Apr 20th, 2014, 5:01pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
OLD WILDWOOD LANDMARKS (Read 18653 times)
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: OLD WILDWOOD LANDMARKS
Reply #45 - Aug 16th, 2008, 10:41am

I think I last ate in Zaberer's in 1992.  When did Ed sell?

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
Email View Profile   IP Logged
walkerbabe

Thanks for a great
2009!

Reply #46 - Aug 16th, 2008, 11:14am

You're right about that lesson Al. Sad  I had that experience with the Capatin's Table.

Are we there yet?
View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #47 - Aug 16th, 2008, 4:59pm

Quote from MMM on Aug 16th, 2008, 10:41am:
I think I last ate in Zaberer's in 1992. When did Ed sell?

You must have been one of the last then—according to the Geator (Jerry Blavat) and other sources, I believe, '92 is the year that it burned down in what regular Atlantic City Weekly contributor Steve Angelucci has characterized as a "mysterious" fire. And according to comments in our Shell Shop thread starting about here, it was no longer really Zaberer's by the time of your last visit, which would have been during the brief reign of the people who bought it from Ed.

I don't know the answer to your question and can't find it, but I did find a comment from a reader in one of Blavat's Atlantic City Weekly columns that I thought was interesting:

Quote:
Hi, Jerry, I enjoyed your article on Ed Zaberer and his restaurant. My aunt by marriage is Ayne Zaberer. Ed and Ayne sold the restaurant to the owners of Tavern on the Green in New York and auctioned off all that was of value. Ed passed away in 1992. Ayne is well and living in Lauderdale by the Sea — I’m mailing her a copy of the article. — Pat Sanford
(Source page: http://www.acweekly.com/view.php?id=9149&issue_id=243 )

If all the above is true, that means Ed died the same year the place burned... (Re: her comment about the Geator's "article on Ed Zaberer," I had no luck finding anything I would call an article, just a paragraph or so of rather vague history, in response to a "whatever happened to...?" question from another reader, in one of his prior columns.)

Thom, are you there? Can you confirm chronology of all this?

Kathi
My eye sees the Atlantis condo, but my heart sees the Atlantis Lodge
click here for Wildwoods slide shows •
View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #48 - Aug 16th, 2008, 8:47pm

Quote from Kathi on Aug 16th, 2008, 4:59pm:

You must have been one of the last then—according to the Geator (Jerry Blavat) and other sources, I believe, '92 is the year that it burned down in what regular Atlantic City Weekly contributor Steve Angelucci has characterized as a "mysterious" fire. And according to comments in our Shell Shop thread starting about here, it was no longer really Zaberer's by the time of your last visit, which would have been during the brief reign of the people who bought it from Ed.

Thanks Kathi.  I was probably last there a couple of years before '92 then.  My memories were that I was there, didn't go at all the next year, then following that it was gone...

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
walkerbabe

Thanks for a great
2009!

Reply #49 - Aug 17th, 2008, 7:52pm

This is a landmark for me, The Red Horse, right near Duffy's in the Lake.  I love the darn horse!!  Cheesy

Are we there yet?
View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #50 - Aug 17th, 2008, 11:29pm

I love the horse too.  Also the smaller one atop the sign...

Martin Melucci

Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #51 - Aug 19th, 2008, 7:52pm

Seeing that horse is always a welcomed site while traveling up or down Park Ave.

I've always wondered what the story on the horse was. I mean, it's an obvious 'mascot' of sorts for the Red Horse Motel, but it's kind of curiously just propped up against the fence in what I figured to be a yard that is connected to the rear of the motel structure.  

Only recently, while looking at that area via satellite imaging, did I realize that there is (was?) a miniature golf course housed within the confides of that fence. I had no idea that that was there; you can't really see inside when you pass, because the fence is rather high.  

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #52 - Aug 19th, 2008, 9:07pm

always loved the location of the red horse too. Someday we may stay there///.. hopefully..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
walkerbabe

Thanks for a great
2009!

Reply #53 - Aug 19th, 2008, 9:14pm

I didn't know about the golf coure either!  I think the horse by the pool was painted recently because it looked like it was in pretty good shape in July! Cheesy

Are we there yet?
View Profile   IP Logged
WildMan
Ultimate God Member

Reply #54 - Aug 20th, 2008, 10:31am

I have no idea where the horse is located on Park Avenue, but the idea of an abandoned miniature golf course is pretty cool.  I don't suppose you could supply a photo, Al?

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #55 - Aug 20th, 2008, 1:29pm

I don't have any pics, but I'll try to grab a satellite screen capture from Local Live, and will post it.

Because the satellite images I have seen seem to have been taken during the winter months, I can't tell if the mini-golf course was been abandoned or not. I don't remember seeing it in operation during the season, but:  A.) I never realized it was there to begin with, and  B.) again, it sits back off the road a bit and that fence around it is fairly high.

I guess the most likely scenario is that it isn't a 'public' course, but one that is only available to the Red Horse's guests, similar to the little course that sits on the Cape Cod property.  

It definitely is something we should look into further, though...

Al Alven

WildMan
Ultimate God Member

Reply #56 - Aug 20th, 2008, 2:29pm

Definitely.  I love these kinds of mysteries!

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #57 - Aug 20th, 2008, 2:43pm

I was just reading a few reviews of the motel (some of which, surprisingly, are quite negative) here:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-12309839-red_horse_on_the_lake_motel-i

And, here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46931-d257337-Reviews-Red_Horse_Motel-W ildwood_New_Jersey.html

Some of these mention the miniature golf course, so it sounds like it is definitely connected to the motel. It doesn't sound like it's in very good shape or that it's taken care of much, but it is still there. Something like this would seem to have a lot of potential. It is located behind the motel; it would be nice if it could be expanded somehow, and opened to the public.

I don't know how much business they would get, but the idea of playing mini-golf across from Sunset Lake, right after a hearty meal at Duffy's, holds a lot of appeal to me. Toss in a little ice cream/water ice stand or something, and they could have a real winner!

Al Alven

FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #58 - Aug 20th, 2008, 3:36pm

yea I too read a few reviews and now I don't think we are gonna visit the red horse.. Huh

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
WildMan
Ultimate God Member

Reply #59 - Aug 20th, 2008, 10:54pm

Not much love on Yahoo, but it seems the Trip Advisor people like it.  3 1/2 out of 5 isn't bad for the Wildwoods.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print