Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Jul 24th, 2014, 8:18am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
OLD WILDWOOD LANDMARKS (Read 20505 times)
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Re: OLD WILDWOOD LANDMARKS
Reply #60 - Aug 20th, 2008, 11:09pm

Quote from Rob Ascough on Aug 20th, 2008, 10:54pm:
Not much love on Yahoo, but it seems the Trip Advisor people like it. 3 1/2 out of 5 isn't bad for the Wildwoods.

Right, and some of the complaints there seem rather vague. I guess you always have to be skeptical of online reviews, because its just as likely that the guests are the ones who should have received the negative reviews.  Wink

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
WildMan
Ultimate God Member

Reply #61 - Aug 20th, 2008, 11:15pm

Absolutely, and if you want to play the other side of the coin, a place with a few good reviews good have been reviewed primarily by the owner/manager.

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #62 - Aug 20th, 2008, 11:20pm

Hey, that's an excellent point. I'm sure some have done it, or have at least been tempted to.  Wink

Al Alven

WildMan
Ultimate God Member

Reply #63 - Aug 21st, 2008, 9:16am

If I owned or managed a property, I would do it!  Why not?

View Profile   IP Logged
markcpeyko
Senior God Member

Tom Cat, Cold Cat

Reply #64 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 12:34am

Quote from jmbcpa1 on Jul 8th, 2008, 3:42pm:
Is Russo's Italian Restaurant in North Wildwood still open?

Does anyone remember Maggio's Italian Market on Pacific Ave?

I know that it is long gone, but they had the best Italian coldcuts and rolls in all of the Wildwoods.

jmbcpa1@aol.com

It's a distant memory for me, but wasn't Maggio's the market with Italian deli meats hanging on ropes suspended  from the ceiling? I remember being able to see into the back of the store through rather large picture windows. And that was from the car.

Then there was the Marine Bakery on New Jersey Avenue near Rio Grande. And next to that was a Sinclair sas station with a huge green Dino mounted on a metal pole. It's a pizzeria now, I think. That was on the northwest corner of Rio Grande and New Jersey avenues. These were all there in the mid to late 1960s.

My mom always had to go to Taylor's Gift Shop. It was one of those things we used to do on a rainy day. She loved it, but it was torture for the kids. It had an in-store sign that read, "Lovely to look at..." You know the rest. We had to be careful. That was the first time I smelled sandalwood incense. They actually had sticks of incense there, if I remember correctly. OMG! Mom and dad took us to a head shop. Grin

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #65 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 10:31am

Quote from markcpeyko on Aug 23rd, 2008, 12:34am:

Then there was the Marine Bakery on New Jersey Avenue near Rio Grande. And next to that was a Sinclair sas station with a huge green Dino mounted on a metal pole. It's a pizzeria now, I think. That was on the northwest corner of Rio Grande and New Jersey avenues. These were all there in the mid to late 1960s.

I have only a vague memory of the Marine Bakery, but that was a place my grandparents frequented and always talked about. They used to get all of their rolls there, in addition to baked goods in the morning. The first Wildwood neon I acquired from Fred Musso a few years ago was a mounted "Pastry Shop" script that used to serve as the lower portion of the large vertical sign that hung out front.

I do remember my dad talking about the old Sinclair station at Rio Grande and Pacific. You're right, it is a pizza place now. I think it has a fairly generic name, like "Pizza Palace" or something like that. Never been there, as it's kind of out of the way (plus, Mr. D's is practically right across the street).  

Great stuff, thanks!  Cheesy

Al Alven

markcpeyko
Senior God Member

Tom Cat, Cold Cat

Reply #66 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:09am

If you would be so kind as to post a photo of the "pastry shop" neon, I would be grateful. I still remember how the Marine Bakery looked, smelled and felt. The owners were older Italians, very Old World. The place was super-clean. The bakery had a side screen door that I remember always being open. Going to the bakery was one of my favorite childhood memories. After leaving the beach, we'd stop on the way home and get doughnuts. We didn't take provisions to the shore, so by day's end we had that type of ravenous hunger that being in and around the water seems to cause. My parents allowed us to have some doughnuts before dinner. Their jelly-filled doughnuts? Don't even get me started. There's no way to describe them that would do their memory justice.  

When I see that pretentious, overscaled bunker that replaced the bakery, I'm always disgusted.

Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #67 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 12:07pm

Thank you so much, Mark. I have been interested in hearing more about this place from people who experienced it, but have found those personal recollections hard to come by. Fred offered me a terrific perspective, and, like I said, I have a (very) vague memory of it myself, and remember my grandparents raving/reminiscing about it. But, they are gone now, and like so many other things, I only wish I had asked them more about it while I had the chance.

Your description really helped bring the bakery back to life for me. Something about the memory of the screen door on the side of the building really resonated with me. I remember the brick exterior, the vertical sign... and, unfortunately, very little about the inside of the store.

I've become particularly interested in the history of the bakery since I acquired the neon, back in December of '05. I will be sure to post a few pics of the sign shortly. I'm sure you'll recognize this portion of the larger neon instantly.

As for that 'overscaled bunker' (couldn't put it any better than that), what the heck is going on there? They built that thing a good three-four years ago, I think, and as far as I know, it's still sitting there, unoccupied and hollow on the inside.

Al Alven

markcpeyko
Senior God Member

Tom Cat, Cold Cat

Reply #68 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 1:44pm

More about the Marine Bakery, but some of this is kind of fuzzy to me. I remember the exterior had a white-washed smooth stucco surface and there was a living space on the upper floor. I thought the building kind of had a restrained 1950s vibe to it. I think it had a simple L-shaped overhang to keep the sun out of the shop. I thought the words "pastry" were also on the right side of the overhang. The shop, as I said earlier, was very tidy. For some reason, I'm thinking it had greenish blue tile on the floors, which, I think, were ceramic. Keep in mind that this was about 40 years ago, so I my memory might be a little faulty.

Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #69 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 1:57pm

There is at least one picture of this place that the Boyer has in one of their binders. Fred sent me a copy of it a while back, so I'll see if I can located that as well. From what I can remember, the building appeared very much as you described it in this picture.

Al Alven

jmbcpa1

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #70 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 3:22pm

Does anyone know what building, if any is on the site of the Crown Motel?

Jim

jmbcpa1
Email View Profile WWW jmbcpa1   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #71 - Aug 23rd, 2008, 4:15pm

I don't know if they've started building on the former lot of the Crown at all yet. I haven't been down that way to check it out yet this year. So, maybe they have. I'm sure one of our Crest regulars will chime in on this one.

As of last summer, the lot was empty, and the old pool area was still visible.

Al Alven

jmbcpa1

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #72 - Aug 24th, 2008, 12:06pm

Quote from jerseygirl on Jul 10th, 2008, 9:30am:
it's now Marcella's  - sorry about the typo   Roll Eyes

Thank you Jersey Girl for the info on the Old Taylor's Market now being Marcella's Cafe.

Does anyone know if the Marcella that now owns the Cafe (assuming that the owner's last name is Marcella) is the same Marcella that owned the Beach Colony Motel in the mid 1970's to the mid 1980's?

I believe his first name was Benny.

Can anyone help on this one?

jmbcpa1
jmbcpa1

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #73 - Aug 24th, 2008, 12:13pm

Quote from Kathi on Aug 16th, 2008, 4:59pm:
Quote from MMM on Aug 16th, 2008, 10:41am:
I think I last ate in Zaberer's in 1992.  When did Ed sell?

You must have been one of the last then—according to the Geator (Jerry Blavat) and other sources, I believe, '92 is the year that it burned down in what regular Atlantic City Weekly contributor Steve Angelucci has characterized as a "mysterious" fire. And according to comments in our Shell Shop thread starting about here, it was no longer really Zaberer's by the time of your last visit, which would have been during the brief reign of the people who bought it from Ed.

I don't know the answer to your question and can't find it, but I did find a comment from a reader in one of Blavat's Atlantic City Weekly columns that I thought was interesting:

Quote:
Hi, Jerry, I enjoyed your article on Ed Zaberer and his restaurant. My aunt by marriage is Ayne Zaberer. Ed and Ayne sold the restaurant to the owners of Tavern on the Green in New York and auctioned off all that was of value. Ed passed away in 1992. Ayne is well and living in Lauderdale by the Sea — I’m mailing her a copy of the article. — Pat Sanford
(Source page: http://www.acweekly.com/view.php?id=9149&issue_id=243 )

If all the above is true, that means Ed died the same year the place burned... (Re: her comment about the Geator's "article on Ed Zaberer," I had no luck finding anything I would call an article, just a paragraph or so of rather vague history, in response to a "whatever happened to...?" question from another reader, in one of his prior columns.)

Thom, are you there? Can you confirm chronology of all this?

There used to be a Charles Zaberer's Restaurant in Atlantic City.

I remember eating there in 1970 and if I recall it was considerably larger than Ed's place in Wildwood.

Does anyone remember that Atlantic City Zaberer's and if it is still there?

I believe Charles Z. was Ed's brother.

JJim

jmbcpa1
Melissa1978
God Member

Loves writing
stories

Reply #74 - Aug 25th, 2008, 10:16pm

I am not surprised the  one  reviewer  said the Red Horse smelled and stuff It probably is rundown....However I do not agree with that same Reviewer saying Wildwood Crest itself is Rundown....It is far from it and The Boardwalk is not nasty......

I wish there was a way to tell them that Ocean City New Jersey is really not the best....I heard it is bad there....

Melissa
Cassie to Diana-You're the other blackwell in the circle,you're my sister-The Secret Circle

The Secret Circle,The Lying Game,Castle,The mentalist,Pretty little liars all good shows.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print