Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Jul 30th, 2014, 3:13pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Matchbooks (Read 2246 times)
walkerbabe

Thanks for a great
2009!

Matchbooks
Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:39am

Just wanted to share a few old matchbooks from restaurants that I got for my birthday!

Are we there yet?
View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: Matchbooks
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:43pm

I have a few from Schumann's old neighbor.

Hope you enjoyed your birthday... Smiley

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:48pm

Happy birthday, walkerbabe!  Smiley

These are really cool. I've been noticing more and more matchbooks from old Wildwood motels/restaurants popping up on eBay lately. It seems like kind of an untapped market (at least, as compared to postcards) but I would imagine that most places produced and distributed them to clientele back in the day.

I wonder how many still do...  Huh

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
walkerbabe

Thanks for a great
2009!

Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 2:04pm

That is a great question!  We'll have to start taking notice of who still has them.  I got this one from Neil's too... Thanks for the b-day wishes!! Cheesy

Are we there yet?
View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 2:23pm

I love the Neils matchbook. Is that one 'standard' size (same as the others)?

Interesting that there is also printing on the inside. That might be the most appealing/informative business matchbook I've ever seen.

I met up with Frank (FlyinGN) and Dave (scca28) from the forum at the Red Rob Diner here in Philly last week. On the way out, I grabbed a matchbook with the diner's name and address on it. Nothing fancy, but just another example of a business that continues to make and give these things out.  

Definitely something we'll have to play closer attention to this year. Thanks!  Cheesy

Al Alven

scca28
Senior God Member

Got Sand On My
Fudgie Wudgie!.

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 3:37pm

That Neil's cover is cool. Thanks for sharing!
Not exactly a diner, but I had to have this one when I saw it. It currently hangs on the wall next to my postcard of our favorite crabbing place. Another great childhood memory!
And don't believe all those rumors about Al being an eating machine! I think he ordered from the kids menu... Grin We did have a good time!

Dave
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 3:49pm

Yeah, I ordered the 'Daffy Duck' and didn't even get a toy!  Angry  Wink

I only have a pair of Zaberer's matchbooks and one from Groff's in my collection, as far as ones from Wildwood go. I just did an eBay search and five items came up (two Zaberer's, another one from Neil's, and one each from the Sand Dune Motel and Pennyland).  

Thinking about it, matchbooks were probably an extremely effective way to advertise draw back customers, in an age when it seems like there were a lot more smokers than today. I could be reading that wrong, so correct me if I am. But, the culture of such things seems to have changed a bit.

These things were like business cards with an added function. Pretty cool, if you really think about it.

Al Alven

fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2009, 7:44pm

Thanks for sharing, Walkerbabe. The Schumann's All-Star matchbook is a gem. Sigh.

I've tried to resist the matchbooks, but this one I couldn't. I imagine a couple of our self-proclaimed party animals will remember the 7 Seas Café—and, even if they don't, they'll approve of its matchbook's illustration... Cool

The inside front cover says in plain black print (well, if you want to call three different fonts "plain"): "JUMBO SANDWICHES... FAMOUS SINCE 1933...ANN & FRANK LEBATO."

images hosted by

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2009, 1:01am by fuzzyscorpio »  

Kathi
My eye sees the Atlantis condo, but my heart sees the Atlantis Lodge
click here for Wildwoods slide shows •
View Profile   IP Logged
walkerbabe

Thanks for a great
2009!

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 6:32am

Quote from Al Alven on Feb 22nd, 2009, 2:23pm:
I love the Neils matchbook. Is that one 'standard' size (same as the others)?

Interesting that there is also printing on the inside. That might be the most appealing/informative business matchbook I've ever seen.

I met up with Frank (FlyinGN) and Dave (scca28) from the forum at the Red Rob Diner here in Philly last week. On the way out, I grabbed a matchbook with the diner's name and address on it. Nothing fancy, but just another example of a business that continues to make and give these things out.

Definitely something we'll have to play closer attention to this year. Thanks!  Cheesy

Yes, it is standard size.  I think you're right about there being less smokers.  Kind of like weddings too.  I don't notice as many matchbook favors as there used to be.

Are we there yet?
View Profile   IP Logged
hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 9:42pm

Happy birthday.  

The Swan matchbox is interesting, it would seem that air conditioning was more of a luxory back in the 50's.

View Profile   IP Logged
walkerbabe

Thanks for a great
2009!

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2009, 10:43pm

Quote from fuzzyscorpio on Feb 22nd, 2009, 7:44pm:
Thanks for sharing, Walkerbabe. The Schumann's All-Star matchbook is a gem. Sigh.

I've tried to resist the matchbooks, but this one I couldn't. I imagine a couple of our self-proclaimed party animals will remember the 7 Seas Café—and, even if they don't, they'll approve of its matchbook's illustration... Cool

The inside front cover says in plain black print (well, if you want to call three different fonts "plain"): "JUMBO SANDWICHES... FAMOUS SINCE 1933...ANN & FRANK LEBATO."

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9668/mb7seascafe300w.jpg http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8956/mb7seascafeinv300w.jpg
images hosted by http://imageshack.us/img/iss4.png

Wow, that is racy  Wink  Love it!!

Are we there yet?
View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2009, 11:10am

My planets seem to be stirring up thought-provoking coincidences the last day or so... interesting to see this matchbook after listening to Joey Reynolds (who usually gets booted off my car audio in favor of the iPod but I was too tired to bother) interview '50s singing star Joni James on the radio Friday night.  

eBay auction page: http://tinyurl.com/medroom
images hosted by

I hadn't thought of Joni James in ages, but I believe she was the one and only singer we actually went to see in person when I was a kid. After listening to her and looking at this matchbook with its classic midcentury style and spirit I'm reminded of my mother's fondness for William B. Williams and the "Make-Believe Ballroom" radio program. Something to be said for those days, no doubt about it. Ah, well.  Cool

eBay has a few other WW matchbooks currently, including one for "Boyers Food Market" at 3212 Pacific, with a four-digit phone number and a nicely styled one from Enrico's restaurant, for Cresters who remember that spot. There is also a charming Art Deco one for "Harry's Restaurant" and its "Spaghetti Real Italian Style" at 3312 Boardwalk—an ancestor, I imagine, of Harry's Corner at 3420, but just guessing on that.

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
wildwood_since_85
Senior God Member

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2009, 11:31pm

I figured id add these to the discussion. I got these last year. I grabbed the 2 colors they had. Vey nice!

Zoom Phloom Fanatic
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Helen

Reply #13 - May 29th, 2009, 10:12pm

Quote from fuzzyscorpio on Feb 22nd, 2009, 7:44pm:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9668/mb7seascafe300w.jpg http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8956/mb7seascafeinv300w.jpg
images hosted by http://imageshack.us/img/iss4.png

I remember this place!  We use to go there when I was a small child, stop for a ham & cheese sandwich.  The sandwich was soooo big.   We would stop there at least once during our week visit.

View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2009, 1:40pm

Hey Helen. Don't forget everything we remember from when we were small seems huge. That sandwich might not have been quite as big as it is in your mind's eye. Then again... back in the day we used to marvel again and again at how there had to be something about the beach that made us extra-hungry after a day out there (uh huh...), and there were always several "doggie bags" that went into the stash for our annual farewell to the seagulls on departure day. Grin Food was always a big part of Wildwood fun and most establishments took pride in feeding patrons well. Thanks for sharing your memory, and glad it's a pleasant one.

Just noticed some matchbooks on eBay currently... check out the one on the left from the Palm Beach Motel. That is a sharp design, no? Others intrigued by typography, graphic design, logos, and/or Atlantic City history may like the classic Continental Motel matchbook too.

eBay auction page: http://tinyurl.com/palmcontmbks (click link or image to view)
photo hosted by

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print