Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Oct 31st, 2014, 7:58am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
warren
Senior God Member

My favorite little
corner of the world!

Sep 7th, 2009, 8:43pm

Would someone be so kind as to explain to me how to post an avatar? I looked through the various posts but found no reference to it. I tried using photo bucket and "have my own pic" but it does not appear anywhere on my profile. If I am missing more information on how to do it, I apologize. Thanks very much...warren.

I'd rather be at the beach!
View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Re: Avatars
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2009, 9:56pm

Hi Warren,

I'll assume you have something on your computer that you want to use, and that you know how to "park it" at an image hosting site like Photobucket or ImageShack; if not, let us know, that's really a separate subject.  

The maximum real estate the site will give you for the avatar seems to be 65 x 65 pixels. Doesn't have to be square, can be rectangular, but neither dimension can exceed 65 px. Just so you know. If you like playing with photo-editing programs, pre-size and pre-crop your avatar accordingly. If not, just link to whatever you've got and let the site handle shrinking it, though I'd caution that if the original is too large it may exceed the site's ability to scale it. You can always remove it and try again if you don't like what you end up with. The photo has to be in gif, png, jpg or jpeg format.

In the page that comes up, click the "Modify" button in the upper right. (The site will make you re-enter your forum password.)

On the next page, click "Options" in the bar just below the top banner. In the first row of the table on the Options page there's a menu of canned avatars you can choose from, but again we'll assume you prefer something of your own. In the second row, it says, "I have my own pic," and opposite that there is a window where you paste in the URL you copied from your image host site that tells the forum site where to get your avatar. It'll look something like http://img449.imageshack.us/img721/1584/[imagefilename.extension]. Be sure to check the box next to the window.  

Now click the "Change Profile" button at the very bottom of the page. It will save your URL and take you to the next page of the customizing panel ("PM Preferences"). You can go back to that later or leave the default settings as they are. For now, to complete the avatar process, click the Profile button up in the banner again. You should see your avatar on that page now. If it appears correctly there, click "Home" or your browser "back" button to return to the message boards and navigate to one of your own posts, where the avatar will also now appear, so you can see how it looks "in action."

Post back if I omitted or misstated anything or you're having difficulties.

-Kathi

Kathi
My eye sees the Atlantis condo, but my heart sees the Atlantis Lodge
click here for Wildwoods slide shows
View Profile   IP Logged
warren
Senior God Member

My favorite little
corner of the world!

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2009, 2:36pm

Quote from fuzzyscorpio on Sep 7th, 2009, 9:56pm:
Hi Warren,

I'll assume you have something on your computer that you want to use, and that you know how to "park it" at an image hosting site like Photobucket or ImageShack; if not, let us know, that's really a separate subject.

The maximum real estate the site will give you for the avatar seems to be 65 x 65 pixels. Doesn't have to be square, can be rectangular, but neither dimension can exceed 65 px. Just so you know. If you like playing with photo-editing programs, pre-size and pre-crop your avatar accordingly. If not, just link to whatever you've got and let the site handle shrinking it, though I'd caution that if the original is too large it may exceed the site's ability to scale it. You can always remove it and try again if you don't like what you end up with. The photo has to be in gif, png, jpg or jpeg format.

In the page that comes up, click the "Modify" button in the upper right. (The site will make you re-enter your forum password.)

On the next page, click "Options" in the bar just below the top banner. In the first row of the table on the Options page there's a menu of canned avatars you can choose from, but again we'll assume you prefer something of your own. In the second row, it says, "I have my own pic," and opposite that there is a window where you paste in the URL you copied from your image host site that tells the forum site where to get your avatar. It'll look something like http://img449.imageshack.us/img721/1584/[imagefilename.extension]. Be sure to check the box next to the window.

Now click the "Change Profile" button at the very bottom of the page. It will save your URL and take you to the next page of the customizing panel ("PM Preferences"). You can go back to that later or leave the default settings as they are. For now, to complete the avatar process, click the Profile button up in the banner again. You should see your avatar on that page now. If it appears correctly there, click "Home" or your browser "back" button to return to the message boards and navigate to one of your own posts, where the avatar will also now appear, so you can see how it looks "in action."

Post back if I omitted or misstated anything or you're having difficulties.

-Kathi

Thank you very much for the help Kathi. I'm not sure what you do but I would not be at all surprised if you were involved in some sort of writing or technical pursuit/vocation. Your explanation was excellent. The art of explaining to someone exactly what they must do to accomplish this or that is...just that, an art. The picture was one I took on vacation. It is simply the street sign for Ocean Avenue and Sweetbriar Road...The location of the Fleur de Lis and the Nassau-which can be seen in the background. It is a little hard to see it but it will do. Yours is very nice and shows up great. Thanks again, I do appreciate it....

I'd rather be at the beach!
View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2009, 1:02am

Glad I could help! I see I actually explained more than you needed because I read your initial post too fast, sorry about that.

Kathi
My eye sees the Atlantis condo, but my heart sees the Atlantis Lodge
click here for Wildwoods slide shows
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print