Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Sep 3rd, 2014, 2:57am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
POLL: Pictorial trip report format (Read 5075 times)
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

POLL: Pictorial trip report format
Oct 16th, 2009, 10:24am

As promised, in response to the "Pictures Posted in Trip Reports" thread in this section, here's an attempt to capture enough opinion to suggest a standard practice for posting multiple photos.

After writing this offline I tried to post it as an actual poll (with anonymous replies and automatic tallying) instead of a regular post, only to discover that the fields in the poll form were much too small. I don't think I could have expressed the options clearly enough in the number of characters allowed by that form no matter how long I struggled. But it should be simple enough to respond, and for me to summarize response later, via replies to this post. All you need to do if you're interested in "voting" is list your choices by number and letter, e.g.: "1: a, d; 2: c."

[Edit:] Obviously optional—as is this entire poll Smiley—but it might help us all better appreciate the parameters if you mention your monitor's resolution, your operating system (Windows or Mac? which version?), and which browser you use in your reply.

PART 1: FORMAT
(choose more than one answer if desired)

When a forum member wants to share a collection of photos, I would prefer that he or she:

a. Limit full-sized photos to a certain maximum width (specific width is addressed in Part 2 below).

b. Limit the number of full-sized photos per report to a maximum of 12.

c. Post all photos as clickable thumbnails (minis) that link to full-sized copies on an external host page. (Please bear in mind that it may take two clicks to access the maximum enlargement from a thumbnail, and at least the initial version accessed will not be a solitary image; it will appear on a page with several other elements, all of which take time to load.)

d. Display a small selection of large photos (no more than 6 to 8), followed by a link to an external gallery or slideshow of the remaining photos or the complete collection.

e. Display a small selection of large photos (no more than 6 to 8), followed by additional photos in thumbnail form as described in #3.  

f. Post no images at all—only a link to an external gallery or slideshow.

PART 2: MAXIMUM IMAGE SIZE

I think the maximum width of posted photos should be:

a. 640 pixels

b. 800 pixels

c. 900 pixels

d. 1000 pixels

e. 1100 pixels

f. 1200 pixels

g. Pixel dimensions are less important than size of file
(please suggest maximum size, expressed as kilobytes [KB], in your reply)

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2009, 3:38pm by fuzzyscorpio »  

Kathi
My eye sees the Atlantis condo, but my heart sees the Atlantis Lodge
click here for Wildwoods slide shows •
View Profile   IP Logged
Bryan
Senior God Member

Missing Wildwood...

Re: POLL: Pictorial trip report format
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2009, 12:10pm

Here's my two cents, feeling a bit guilty stirring a pot that seemed to be pretty calm...

1. (e) sounds the best, but (c) and (d) also seem to have that nice compromise  (I admit I didn't think of those who like to appreciate the finer details of the original larger photo, and totally understand that now.)

2. Can't really answer, maybe (d), but with the suggestions I like best in the first question, this is less of an issue.

Bottom line, definitely don't want to seem anti-large pictures, but the thumbnail idea with links to larger versions sounds awesome...

Email View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2009, 12:22pm

See note added under option #3. I don't want to discourage anyone from voting for thumbnails. I just think they're better in concept than reality, and want to try to ensure people are not overrating them.

Also, as noted in my addition to the intro, it could be helpful if people who reply would include some details about their computer system.

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
ezeddie

Supporting the
Wildwoods since

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2009, 7:24pm

Part 1: (a) would be my only choice

Part 2: (b) 800 pixels max

Ed

View Profile   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #4 - Oct 18th, 2009, 11:41am

Thanks Ed.

Anyone else want to "vote" (or restate your preferences in your own terms)?

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2009, 12:38pm

I personally prefer having pictures display in the thread - I don't like having to click on pictures to open them.  I think width between 800-1024 is sufficient.  It's your show though... Smiley

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2009, 1:43pm

Quote from MMM on Oct 18th, 2009, 12:38pm:
It's your show though... Smiley

Eh?  Grin This isn't about me, it's about all of us who like to share our photos. Including, notably, yourself, whose wonderful pictures from the car show were bigger than the last set I posted. Wink I'm trying to follow through on the issues Bryan raised by encouraging any of our fellow fanatics whose systems have been excessively challenged by past pictorial trip reports to speak up and be specific about the limiting factors. Having that kind of information is the only way we can optimize our photo postings for everyone's enjoyment, without being more inhibited than necessary. If people are getting frustrated with slow loads/navigation and chopped-off images, and giving up on the thread, what's the point?

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
Transylvia

Are we there yet?

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2009, 10:53pm

I'm with Ed and Martin on this one. Not to say that we're getting button-laziness here  Grin but... It's true that having to click on a thumbnail that leads to an external host site like photobucket or flicker, can get a bit annoying. Only because sometimes, the connection is slower for whatever reason, the site is getting lots of traffic, etc...  
So my choice would have to be the same as Ed.  

I have an LG laptop, 13" screen, with a 1280X800 resolution. OS is Vista  Angry and I use Firefox. On occasion, I may use IE8, but that's very rare.  
If you need more info, just let me know Kathi... Wink

Sylvie. =)

I used to be Boardwalk Angel - But the seagulls stole my Halo...!!!
View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2009, 10:55pm

Quote from fuzzyscorpio on Oct 18th, 2009, 1:43pm:

Eh?  Grin This isn't about me, it's about all of us who like to share our photos.   Including, notably, yourself, whose wonderful pictures from the car show were bigger than the last set I posted.

I appreciate people posting their pictures, and wouldn't want to tell them what I think is right.  However they prefer to post...  For me just looking though, it's easiest to just look through a thread with them all showing, and not have to click.

Where I goofed up with those pictures was putting too many in each post - about 30 or so in each.  I should have spread them out more - maybe 10-15 per post - so they would have posted over at least two thread pages instead of one.  That would have helped with loading since half as much would have to be digested at once.  Sorry about that...

Reducing the pictures to 800 at the widest is a pretty good compromise between image and file size for showing here.  I used 1024 the last time, but 800 would have been still looked OK.

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2009, 11:41am

Sylvie: Thanks for feedback... and condolences on Vista. Smiley Having been a Mac die-hard for so long—going back to my dad's Macintosh Plus and Macintosh II in the late 80s/early 90s (I cut my teeth on his computers and his cars, LOL)—I'm not following Windows 7 too closely, but it does seem to be getting some raves.

Martin: Thanks. I'm going to experiment in preview with your idea of breaking up a set over several posts when I get around to posting the pictures from my last trip. But my impression is the site loads by page, not by post, according to some fixed maximum depth. I noted that in your car show set, the first page of the thread includes several posts. So I doubt it would have changed anything if you'd broken it up more.

My last set was 900 px wide and as I discovered when I reset my resolution to 1024, that does seem to be pushing it slightly. I'm going to whittle the next set down to 850... LOL. Hate to sacrifice that "POW!" factor with photos.

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #10 - Oct 20th, 2009, 8:20pm

There's (at least as a default) a view of 15 posts per page in a thread.  If I had 300 pictures, I could have split them where 10 were in a post, and 150 total on each of 2 pages.  Then you'd only have to load 150 at once, instead of 300.

Martin Melucci

Bryan
Senior God Member

Missing Wildwood...

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2009, 10:42am

Quote from MMM on Oct 20th, 2009, 8:20pm:
There's (at least as a default) a view of 15 posts per page in a thread.  If I had 300 pictures, I could have split them where 10 were in a post, and 150 total on each of 2 pages.  Then you'd only have to load 150 at once, instead of 300.

This is an interesting thought.  Not limiting anything else other than the amount of pictures per post or page...

fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2009, 1:16pm

Thanks Martin, looks like you've identified an important factor that I discounted. I see what you mean about the forum being set to a maximum of 15 posts per page. I had never noticed that, and based on my dangerously scanty knowledge of HTML I assumed the pages here were defined by depth. On the contrary, it looks like this set-up will allow pages to go on forever until they reach that 15-post maximum.  

Since my Harley weekend post was a little complicated I composed it offline in Word and I still have that file, so I'm going to repost the same group of ~75 images as 15 separate posts in the test zone and see how it loads.  

We will still need to decide (individually or collectively) what our maximum images-per-post should be. And size (both dimensions and data) will always have an impact on speed and ease of viewing regardless of the number of images on the page. But this sounds like progress...

EDIT: For what it's worth I did the test described above. It doesn't disprove Martin's theory, it just shows that breaking images into separate posts, in and of itself, doesn't make any difference in terms of how long the page takes to load. Which I think is somewhat useful to know. Here are links:

~75 PIX IN 15 POSTS

~75 PIX IN 1 POST + 14 REPLIES (the original)

Since my system is fairly fast and I do get a slight load lag on both of these threads, the experience suggests to me that 5 images per post is probably too many.  

I'm going to do one more test, with two images per post (which will spread the same material over three pages). Then we can compare the two test threads and see if they point to an ideal compromise.

EDIT, AGAIN:
Here's the link to the two-per-post test. Individual pages behave better, but is it worth navigating multiple pages?  Feedback, anyone?

~75 PIX IN 37 POSTS
(link has been fixed, it originally went to third page of thread, sorry)

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2009, 6:04pm by fuzzyscorpio »  

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
Znorfmond

Home of the worlds
finest and safest
bathing beach

Reply #13 - Oct 21st, 2009, 5:29pm

They all work fine for me. The only pictures I've ever had a problem with were the ones Frank posted this summer http://www.doowopusa.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1250519324  they were 2048. I just changed my browser settings until they fit and then changed them back.

I am guilty of putting the max in one post this summer but I'll stick to 10 to 15 or what ever the consensus is.

~Art
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Reply #14 - Oct 21st, 2009, 6:27pm

Quote from Znorfmond on Oct 21st, 2009, 5:29pm:
 they were 2048. I just changed my browser settings until they fit and then changed them back.

Hmmm, that's interesting—or do you mean your monitor settings (resolution)? I can't find anything in Firefox preferences that I could change to make those images fit on my display. But if you're on Windows you probably have access to more specifications in Firefox (or IE). For us Mac dummies, ya know, they like to keep things simple Smiley.

Quote:
I am guilty of putting the max in one post this summer but I'll stick to 10 to 15 or what ever the consensus is.

Well, it seems the critical issue is the number of images per PAGE, not per post—but images per post is the only way we as users can control images per page. That's why Martin's observation about the 15-post maximum is so helpful. If we decide that we don't want to deal with, say, more than 50 images on the page, then we know we should limit ourselves to about 3 images per post; that way, somewhere around image #45, the thread will automatically run over to a new page.

My tentative suggestion at this point for all of us (including me!) who like to post big images is to keep their size under 1000 pixels on the long side and stay in the range of 2 to 3 images per post. (My 1000 pixel maximum may be a bit high. Capping it at 800 would be safe for almost any system, but not as punchy as I'd like, personally.)

Thanks for your comments.

Kathi
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print