Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Oct 2nd, 2014, 10:28am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
'Out of Season': Mark Havens' WW photo project (Read 7786 times)
Rochegirl

I support Doo Wop
preservation & I
love Wildwood!!

Re: 'Out of Season': Mark Havens' WW photo project
Reply #30 - Mar 24th, 2010, 3:00pm

The pictures are purely amazing!  Looking to see if I can tell which "unmarked" picture is what motel........really makes me put my thinking cap on!  Thanks for sharing...........

View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #31 - Mar 24th, 2010, 4:02pm

Mark, quick question... Are you still teaching at Philadelphia University?

Just curious if you've ever shared your photos or Wildwood experiences with your students, and what their reactions have been?

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #32 - Mar 24th, 2010, 8:47pm

Mark, when did you take that picture of The Satellite, on the balcony?  Any stories behind taking pictures there as well?

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
Email View Profile   IP Logged
redeyejedi

Reply #33 - Mar 26th, 2010, 1:56pm

Hi Al:
Yes, I'm still at PhilaU---you've got an incredible memory! Photography doesn't come up too much, though. I guess it's just more of a personal thing for me.  

Hi Martin:
The images of the Satellite were shot in 2004 on the last weekend the motel was open. The owner was pretty standoff-ish when I asked permission so I didn't get much in the way of stories. One thing about that day does stand out to me, but it's about my own screw-up, though:  

The sign and the roof peak at night were something I really wanted. So I saved several rolls of film to make sure I could get lots of sign shots. It took me a long while to shoot the rest of the motel and then I remember thinking: "OK, now I'm gonna get that sign." I'd just gotten set up and started when---poof---out go the lights. I remember standing there with my mouth hanging open and looking around like someone was playing a practical joke or something. I'd forgotten that nearly all the motel lights in town, especially the neon signs, are on timers all set to different times. I looked at my watch and it was 11:30 exactly. The office was dark, residence was dark, parking lot empty, nobody around to even ask to turn the sign back on.  

That half roll of film was all I ever got of the lit sign because, sadly, the next week the bulldozers moved in...

View Profile   IP Logged
SandArtist
God Member

Sun, Sand, Surf
& Kites!

Reply #34 - Mar 26th, 2010, 7:35pm

Quote from redeyejedi on Mar 26th, 2010, 1:56pm:
Hi Al:
I'd just gotten set up and started when---poof---out go the lights. I remember standing there with my mouth hanging open and looking around like someone was playing a practical joke or something. I'd forgotten that nearly all the motel lights in town, especially the neon signs, are on timers all set to different times. I looked at my watch and it was 11:30 exactly. The office was dark, residence was dark, parking lot empty, nobody around to even ask to turn the sign back on.

That half roll of film was all I ever got of the lit sign because, sadly, the next week the bulldozers moved in...

Ohhhhh! That's Brutal!!! Sad

I support Doo Wop preservation.
Graphic Design & Coastal Photography: http://www.leshockarts.com/
View Profile   IP Logged
Al Alven
Forum Moderator

Through this magical
arch...

Reply #35 - Mar 26th, 2010, 7:55pm

Mark, your heart must have sunk into your stomach when that sign turned off. I was also running around, trying to capture what I could that September, and encountered many similar situations. I would hardly refer to it as a "screw up" - the mere fact that you were down there, shooting at 11:30 pm in September, went far above and beyond the call of dedication to the documentation of soon-to-be-lost treasures like the Satellite.

Most of the pics I have of the Satellite were taken during the final week of its operation, so I missed you by a few days. I had the same experience with the owner - he was pleasant enough, but I didn't get much out of him in the way of info or stories. I even got the sense, when we first started talking, that he was choking up a bit. Of course, I appreciated that in a certain way, but the mere notion of the Satellite being torn down at that time still seemed so unrealistic; it ALL seemed so surreal.  

One thing I will always regret is not asking to go inside and take a look at the two-story lobby/office area. Why I neglected to do so, looking back, is completely beyond me...

« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2010, 12:06am by Al Alven »  

Al Alven

Wildwood 365: www.wildwood365.net
Email View Profile WWW alalven   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #36 - Mar 26th, 2010, 9:21pm

Mark, thanks.  Was that picture taken on the 2nd or 3rd floor?

What was the last week for The Satellite?  Did it operate past Car Show/Irish Weekend in 2004?  The last time I saw it in person was the Saturday night of that weekend, and it was already dark there, though it wasn't past 11:30.

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
Email View Profile   IP Logged
hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #37 - Mar 26th, 2010, 11:42pm

Was the Satellite ever close to being saved?

View Profile   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #38 - Apr 7th, 2010, 2:30pm

Not that I know of.  I think the owners might have even promoted the last year of the motel, unless I'm thinking of another Wildwood landmark?

View Profile   IP Logged
hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #39 - Apr 14th, 2010, 12:45pm

Quote from Rob Ascough on Apr 7th, 2010, 2:30pm:
Not that I know of.  I think the owners might have even promoted the last year of the motel, unless I'm thinking of another Wildwood landmark?

I remember seeing in the Hastings book some drawing of what it would have looked like if they made it biggger. Sadly it never came to happen.

View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #40 - Apr 14th, 2010, 3:59pm

The Satellite was never really close to ever being saved, unfortunately. After the motel was demolished, there were some people who thought that the sale of the property was already in place but not officially announced before the preservations efforts began to gain some steam. But  that could have been just a rumor after the fact so who knows?

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2010, 7:35pm by tradewinds »  
View Profile   IP Logged
hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #41 - Apr 15th, 2010, 12:11am

Quote from tradewinds on Apr 14th, 2010, 3:59pm:
The Satellite was never really close to ever being saved, unfortunately. After the motel was demolished, there were some people who thought that the sale of the property was already in place but not officially announced before the preservations efforts began to gain some steam. But  that could have been just a rumor after the fact so who knows?

That's too bad. I always liked to believe they made a hard push to save that place.

View Profile   IP Logged
CMCguy
God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #42 - Apr 25th, 2010, 9:48pm

Quote from redeyejedi on Mar 3rd, 2010, 3:48am:
Everyone:
Thanks for the kind words about Out of Season. Coming from folks who know Wildwood as well as you all do, it really means a lot to me.

Mark

As an exprienced photorapher myself (non "pro"), I have to tell you - these photos are OUTSTANDING; really beautiful!  And sad, as another person stated.  cry

View Profile   IP Logged
redeyejedi

Reply #43 - May 3rd, 2010, 10:00pm

Hi Martin:
The Satellite shot was taken on the second floor. Not sure what the date of the last weekend for The Satellite was. Wish I'd kept better notations that early in the project!  

Mark

View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #44 - May 3rd, 2010, 10:16pm

These classic Wildwood photos should be in a book! They are that good. The first printing would probably sell out just from the people on this site alone!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print