Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Aug 20th, 2014, 2:48am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
La Vita Motel (Read 9594 times)
Island_Boy

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: La Vita Motel
Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2011, 1:39am

Greg - we've stayed at the Reges a few times and I've done that same walk with my family.  You described it perfectly, and I highly recommend it as well!

I also agree with your description of the Ala Kai.  It's definitely on our list of places to stay.

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2011, 11:36am

one of favorite things to do when we stayed in the crest.. When ya get up to the point in NWW we get the same solitude and quiet too. Its amazing just a few blocks off the boards, the world changes

Quote from DooWopper on Feb 19th, 2011, 10:03pm:
There really are some great motels down there. The Ala Kai comes to my mind almost instantly. I have never been in the motel but the outside looks immaculately well kept. I know the sign was either replaced or refurbished within the past 5 years or so, and the property appears very clean and well kept. That whole section is like a mini historic district. When you come down the road you come to that little section which really ads some life to the area. The Biscayne is another motel in that area that looks to be well kept.

If you ever have the chance, I suggest doing this, its very tiring but you really get a good sense of the towns. My dad and I have done it often since we usually vacation around the Reges. Take a walk one night from the boardwalk all the way down to the Reges. You can see how the town changes as you walk down. You get off the hustling boardwalk and head down the crest bike path. You see lots of people walking to the boardwalk, people watching off their motel balconies....As you get down to the Port Royal, you start hearing the crickets in the dunes more, and the ocean. Once you walk past the Saratoga its a whole different world. It's very quiet besides some cars. You get to the area around the La Vita and there is some more life, people having late evening BBQ's at the motels, quiet enough that you can here the neon signs buzz though. Once you get past this section its dead quiet again. Its really amazing how much can change in the matter of several blocks. If you take this walk and all the sights sounds and scents, you really get to experience a lot.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
Email View Profile   IP Logged
CutieTNJ
God Member

His name is
Flipper...

Reply #17 - Feb 20th, 2011, 8:49pm

You definately describe it perfectly...the dead quiet and the sound of the ocean.  We used to stay across the street from the LaVita at the now defunct Sands Motel.   I loved the peacefullness.

View Profile   IP Logged
DooWopper
Forum Moderator

Palmus Plasticcus!

Reply #18 - Feb 20th, 2011, 11:44pm

I forgot one detail. When you get to that quiet part of the Crest, a familiar sound is the trolley flying by and the sound of the bell "ding ding" disappearing off into the distance.  

One of my favorite things is coming around the corner of Farragut at night heading towards the boards and getting that first glimpse of all the neon on the strip. Its a great feeling knowing you're heading into all the action, especially when the boardwalk ramp is in view. Coming back is almost the opposite. After walking the boards for hours the walk back to the deep Crest is almost punishing, especially when you can see your hotel and all it is, is a little tiny thing way off in the distance Grin I don't know though, when you finally get there and you open that door and see that nice cold pillow waiting for you, that's a pretty great feeling too Wink

-Greg
Please Enjoy My Photo Slideshows
*****http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperOktav *****
View Profile   IP Logged
Island_Boy

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #19 - Feb 21st, 2011, 9:18pm

Quote from DooWopper on Feb 20th, 2011, 11:44pm:
I don't know though, when you finally get there and you open that door and see that nice cold pillow waiting for you, that's a pretty great feeling too Wink

One of the greatest little moments after a long night out...and a long walk home.

View Profile   IP Logged
Bryan
Senior God Member

Missing Wildwood...

Reply #20 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 1:58pm

Man, I need to make that walk now all the way down the bike path.  I love doing it early in the morning on a bike, watching the island wake up, but haven't experienced it at night.  I suppose I haven't tried it because I've never stayed that far down the Crest, but looking further down Ocean Ave at all the humming neon slowly shut off for the night is really something as well.  You kind of forget that it's so much quieter that far down.  That's on my list now.

hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #21 - Mar 3rd, 2011, 3:05pm

I keep forgetting the Sands was in that neck of the woods and was a big place too.

View Profile   IP Logged
OldSoul

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #22 - Oct 30th, 2011, 12:07pm

We bought our condo on Syracuse 1/2009 and La Vita's been empty since at least then. I've pushed my face against the glass of most units a few times since, and there's obvious mold in at least half the units below their lone back windows. Some units are fine, but in others the mold travels up to the ceiling. A look from the alley behind reveals that at some point the building's exterior below each of these back windows & downward about a foot was replaced. Obviously there was some moisture/dryrot/mold issue requiring this repair but whether it was done prior to or at time of condo-version I'm unsure. Either way, it wasn't properly or completely dealt with and the "local" word is that this mold problem is what stopped the all but complete project in its tracks.
  It probably didn't help that it was one of the last condo-versions to happen when the market already had slowed. But also, for my money, just a bathroom and combo bedroom/living area? Even with the nice kitchenettes added in to a space that was probably previously a closet, most people spending $200k at least want a bedroom separate from the living area. Alas, I'm sure the builder lost a bundle but obviously finds the project cheaper to abandon than to deal with, especially for what they'd be able to get for these units today.  
  On the other hand, you are literally steps from the beach. The other day I found retrostockpix photos of La Vita in its hey day. WOW! The sign looks blue now, not the pink of old (the pink was better). And holy crap, is that the beach across the street and not some 4 story hotel?  
  My dream would be to buy and restore that place back to its former glory, right down to the wooden and plastic cushioned lawn chairs. Isn't there some way a bunch of us couldn't organize to do just that? And to do the same to save some others? Peace!

View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #23 - Oct 30th, 2011, 1:37pm

Thanks for the info.

The La Vita seems like a kinda well-intentioned, but misguided attempt at a renovation.  From what I can tell, at least most all of it can either be put back to how it was, or have an appropriate replacement used instead, for a better complete renovation.

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #24 - Oct 31st, 2011, 11:37am

The La Vita always puzzled me too. Looks like it was started but never finished. Odd. I always used to notice nice Mustangs parking in the lot too when we were down during the summer years back.

Crestguy

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: La Vita Motel --To be torn down
Reply #25 - May 15th, 2012, 7:54pm

The LaVita is to be torn down, possibly by Memorial Day 2012.

View Profile   IP Logged
wildwoodgirl
Senior God Member

Best place
ever!!!!!!

Re: La Vita Motel --To be torn down
Reply #26 - May 15th, 2012, 8:00pm

Welcome, Crestguy.  Sad to hear about another one of our beloved motels  cry

View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #27 - May 15th, 2012, 10:02pm

There were a few meetings in the Crest which briefly addressed the future of the property located at 8400 Atlantic Ave but I don't recall permits for demolition being approved or issued - yet.   George

View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #28 - May 15th, 2012, 11:18pm

Wow, really?  The La Vita has sat for some time, after the condo conversion was left incomplete.  I didn't care for the changes made to the exterior then, but it seemed like it could have basically been undone and restored.  A nice little motel, pre-conversion.

Welcome!

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #29 - May 16th, 2012, 11:09am

Shame.. neat location... I remember it used to be filled when we went down for the car show in Sept.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print