Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Oct 23rd, 2014, 5:19am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
La Vita Motel (Read 10123 times)
tradewinds
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: La Vita Motel
Reply #30 - May 16th, 2012, 4:42pm

Unless someoene gave me the wrong answers today, they could not find any approved apllication filed in the Crest for La Vita demolition as of this date.  They person I spoke with told me she would check with Kevin Yecco, but she thought the town still has the property offically designated "for sale" but wasn't entirely sure.     George

View Profile   IP Logged
Crestguy

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #31 - May 16th, 2012, 5:54pm

I live very near the place. They have prepared the place for demolition. The men on site, part of the demolition crew, said that it will be knocked down soon. A neighbor and I received mailed, formal notification today, soo... I wonder what will happen to the sign?

View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #32 - May 16th, 2012, 6:44pm

Crestguy, Someone from the Crest e-mailed me the same information earlier that you've received in the mail today. Looks like the end is near for La Vita. My other lives at Ocean Place and she told me the same thing a few minutes ago. Sad.    George

View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #33 - May 16th, 2012, 7:39pm

I'm curious re demolition - was this granted under the old zoning laws, where someone went and received such a permit before the changes?  If so, when would it have expired?  (I *thought* it could only last for so long, even with renewals).  Or was a new/recent demolition permit granted here?

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
Email View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #34 - May 16th, 2012, 10:54pm

That's an interesting question Martin. Unless Crestguy knows or can find out, I can probably find out the answers for you on Friday.    George

View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #35 - May 16th, 2012, 11:04pm

Thanks George.

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
DooWopper
Forum Moderator

Palmus Plasticcus!

Reply #36 - May 16th, 2012, 11:41pm

Even though the property has sat vacant for years, this is a big blow to the mini motel strip in the deep Crest. What a shame someone didn't purchase it to run as a motel. My friends we still face the real danger of losing more motels and we don't have that many more to give Angry

-Greg
Please Enjoy My Photo Slideshows
*****http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperOktav *****
View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #37 - May 17th, 2012, 12:07am

I hope the demolition craze has run it's course and become a thing of the past in the Crest. Maybe the buildings that will be sold will be kept as motels or turned into condo-motels instead of being torn down. It might be wishful thinking but I don't see banks willing to finance  developers attempting to secure funds to build more condos or townhomes. We can only hope, right?    George

View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #38 - May 17th, 2012, 1:03am

I agree with Greg.  We've discussed some of that stuff off the forum, and this sort of brings it home.  In some ways, it's a little hard for me to believe someone would waste that cool looking building (at least before renovations began) after the demolition years, but it some ways it doesn't surprise me one bit.

Martin Melucci

hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #39 - May 17th, 2012, 9:03am

This will be another empty lot to stare at for years to come. Does anyone know who owns/owned the property? The last time I remember the LaVita open was around 2006.

View Profile   IP Logged
hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #40 - May 17th, 2012, 9:13am

Interesting, the LaVita still even has up a website.

View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #41 - May 17th, 2012, 9:32am

If they haven't already begun tearing La Vita down, it is scheduled for demolition between May 16-20, 2012.   cry   In the Crest demolition is only permitted between the day AFTER Labor Day up until the Thursday BEFORE Memorial Day, unless the building in question poses a threat to public health and safety as outlined in 22-5 Code of the Borough of Wildwood Crest.    George

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #42 - May 17th, 2012, 10:54am

Quote from tradewinds on May 17th, 2012, 12:07am:
I hope the demolition craze has run it's course and become a thing of the past in the Crest. Maybe the buildings that will be sold will be kept as motels or turned into condo-motels instead of being torn down. It might be wishful thinking but I don't see banks willing to finance  developers attempting to secure funds to build more condos or townhomes. We can only hope, right?    George

One can only hope.. Due to the mold issue, it way very well indeed be rebuilt from ground up... Sometimes its cheaper razing the building then trying to stop mold.  

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
Crestguy

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #43 - May 17th, 2012, 6:11pm

The LaVita started to be demolished today, May 17 , 2012. I have pics.

View Profile   IP Logged
DooWopper
Forum Moderator

Palmus Plasticcus!

Reply #44 - May 17th, 2012, 8:02pm

Photo: RetroStockPix

What a shame Sad

If able, please share the pics crestguy. Any idea on what is replacing it? I find it a really odd time for new construction considering the glut of properties still for sale on the island.

-Greg
Please Enjoy My Photo Slideshows
*****http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperOktav *****
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print