Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Oct 23rd, 2014, 3:54am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Boardwalk Book Store! (Read 6348 times)
Bob_Mock
God Member

There is no place
like Wildwood New
Jersey!

Boardwalk Book Store!
Aug 14th, 2011, 1:03am

I have to say that it is very strange to not have the Atlantic Book Store on the Boardwalk. Some how losing the book store knocked the balance of the Boardwalk out of whack! I also enjoyed picking upa few quick reads for the beach...additionally it was always nice to duck in and have a few civilized moments before contiuing down the Boardwalk.
   We need to have the Atlantic Bookstore back on the WW Boardwalk!

When the government fails to lead the people,the people will rise up to lead the govenment!
Email View Profile   IP Logged
CMCguy
God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: Boardwalk Book Store!
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2011, 1:42am

The closing of the boardwalk Atlantic Books was a big disappointment to me too, Bob.  They had some GREAT bargains on books in there.  It would often be a "last stop" for us (and usually a really long one) on the way from the boardwalk to our motel.  It was never "dead" in there either - at least when we went - but maybe the appearance of alot of customers was deceiving to how they were actually doing (?)  Too bad in any case.  Sad

View Profile   IP Logged
SandArtist
God Member

Sun, Sand, Surf
& Kites!

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2011, 9:37am

That's So Very Sad Indeed!! I hate seeing bookstores close. We lost our Borders this past spring. There's something very comforting about getting oneself lost in a bookstore. I blame it more on the economy than the ebook trend. I mean for heaven's sake.. VINYL is on the comeback again!

I support Doo Wop preservation.
Graphic Design & Coastal Photography: http://www.leshockarts.com/
View Profile   IP Logged
rosiebear1

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #3 - Aug 14th, 2011, 9:37am

I miss it also. I would go in several times a summer and usually made purchases each time.  I remember always waiting in line to pay so others were buying too.

View Profile   IP Logged
LittleMissBarbs
God Member

I found a shell...

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2011, 12:35pm

I was really upset when I went in March and saw it was gone. Most of my books have come from that store. I know there's the one in Cape may along with Book Stop but it's still really sad Sad

<3 9.16.14 <3
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Bob_Mock
God Member

There is no place
like Wildwood New
Jersey!

Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2011, 12:41am

The guy who has the used book store on Pacific Ave is smiling ear to ear. His place was as busy as I have ever seen it. I asked him if he would consider moving on to the Boardwalk he said...".NEVER! That's what killed the Atlantic Bookstore..they just kept rasing the rent" Sad

When the government fails to lead the people,the people will rise up to lead the govenment!
Tech

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2011, 1:20am

That place was cool. used to buy my atlases and political books while running up to the boardwalk for pizza or arcade.

LittleMissBarbs
God Member

I found a shell...

Reply #7 - Aug 16th, 2011, 12:37pm

My best memory was years ago I went crazy looking for a book and the sales associate told me to come in early the following morning. I walked in and he handed me his own personal copy. I still have it and I don't think I could ever bring myself to get rid of it. I mean, it's rare these days to see someone do something so kind for someone he doesn't even know.

<3 9.16.14 <3
CMCguy
God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #8 - Aug 16th, 2011, 1:43pm

Quote from Bob_Mock on Aug 16th, 2011, 12:41am:
The guy who has the used book store on Pacific Ave is smiling ear to ear. His place was as busy as I have ever seen it. I asked him if he would consider moving on to the Boardwalk he said...".NEVER! That's what killed the Atlantic Bookstore..they just kept rasing the rent" Sad

Hmmm - now WHY did I think that had something to do with it?  Wink  

View Profile   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2011, 11:37am

Bookstores have it tough these days.  I'm hoping Barnes & Noble takes over some of those now-abandoned Borders locations.  Still, I can't believe the Atlantic Books on the boardwalk closed.  Like someone else said, it was always busy in there.  I have a feeling the owner of the building must have jacked up the price of the lease to the point where Atlantic walked... that's the only thing that makes sense.  I can't see them having willingly closed that location.

View Profile   IP Logged
Bob_Mock
God Member

There is no place
like Wildwood New
Jersey!

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2011, 10:10pm

The balance of businesses on the Boardwalk was knocked for a loop when the Atlantic Bookstore closed

SandArtist
God Member

Sun, Sand, Surf
& Kites!

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2011, 12:23am

Atlantic Books in Cape May s closing now too.  cry

I support Doo Wop preservation.
Graphic Design & Coastal Photography: http://www.leshockarts.com/
View Profile   IP Logged
Bob_Mock
God Member

There is no place
like Wildwood New
Jersey!

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2011, 1:08am

The Atlantic Book Store in the mall was a favorite...perhaps this is all a sign of the times...bad economy,high rent...

and NOOKS...KINDLES>>>why would book stores sell the product that would guarantee that a customer will never return to the store???? Huh

LittleMissBarbs
God Member

I found a shell...

Reply #13 - Sep 9th, 2011, 12:08pm

Quote from SandArtist on Sep 9th, 2011, 12:23am:
Atlantic Books in Cape May s closing now too.  cry

I heard about that last week and it was horrible timing. As my mom and I were talking about how that's one of the places we were planning on going the announcement came on news 12. My mom was there a few days ago and said there was still a decent selection. I'm really hoping I'll be able to pick something up while I'm down.

<3 9.16.14 <3
markcpeyko
Senior God Member

Tom Cat, Cold Cat

Reply #14 - Sep 9th, 2011, 7:29pm

I liked Atlantic Books, too. Hooked on Books is the store on Pacific.  

http://www.atlanticbooks.us/locations.html

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print