Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Sep 30th, 2014, 1:52pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Hurricane Irene. (Read 21316 times)
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: Hurricane Irene.
Reply #90 - Aug 26th, 2011, 11:44pm

Quote from beachrat on Aug 26th, 2011, 10:47pm:
Al and others, I appreciate the sentiments.  At least I got in a few days - just wish I hadn't saved so much for the second week!  I really feel for the folks who didn't even get a chance to get there.

Are you going to try to return next week?

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
Email View Profile   IP Logged
WildwoodVeteran22

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #91 - Aug 26th, 2011, 11:50pm

Quote from Melissa1978 on Aug 26th, 2011, 9:51pm:
Quote from Tech on Aug 26th, 2011, 8:47pm:
Wow thats surprising......I was thinking they'd shut down......Do we know if AC is empty like wildwood.....I ask this because I just got home from there today.

AC is under a mandatory evacuation as well so I would assume so.

View Profile   IP Logged
Bob_Mock
God Member

There is no place
like Wildwood New
Jersey!

Reply #92 - Aug 27th, 2011, 12:22am

So I was all set for a Monday to Monday Wildwood vacation....I had nothing but issues coming up all week making  
it harder and harder to make the trip. We just kept trying to solve the problems one at a time. And then Irene appears...jeeze.  
   So instead of packing, I am sitting in Pittsburgh watching the National news... as  everybody is leaving Wildwood. I sure hope everybody is safe and this storm misses Wildwood.

When the government fails to lead the people,the people will rise up to lead the govenment!
Tech

Reply #93 - Aug 27th, 2011, 2:22am

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011, 7:53am by Tech »  
Roberts Avenue
God Member

Reply #94 - Aug 27th, 2011, 7:53am

No traffic at the Egg Harbor Toll Plaza, 7:43 AM today:

View Profile   IP Logged
warren
Senior God Member

My favorite little
corner of the world!

Reply #95 - Aug 27th, 2011, 9:10am

I am assuming that we could lose the forum if power goes down? Hope not.

I'd rather be at the beach!
View Profile   IP Logged
Bryan
Senior God Member

Missing Wildwood...

Reply #96 - Aug 27th, 2011, 9:32am

Quote from warren on Aug 27th, 2011, 9:10am:
I am assuming that we could lose the forum if power goes down? Hope not.

I'd doubt it.  Who knows where the server this is running on is located.

Also, a heads up... the Mariner's Landing cam doesn't appear to be up right now.  Clicking the link gives you the Rehoboth Beach one (which, I believe... they give you the closest to what you search for...).  Maybe they turned that one off.

Question about the Wildwoodmag camera... where on Rio Grande am I staring?  I don't recognize from that angle.  Is that the Boathouse on the right side?

Not much to look at for the moment.  The radio calls that pipe in once in a while are interesting.  Sounds like at 9 am they were still checking on people.  I overheard someone say how at around noon was the last bus or shuttle or something leaving the city... I assume shuttling people to somewhere safer temporarily, like a shelter or whatever.

Anyone have an update as to the time it's supposed to really hit?  I keep hearing 2 am tonight into tomorrow morning in Philly and further inland NJ.

It's funny... because of my originally planned trip, and slight obsession with this place, I feel like I know more about what this storm is going to do to NJ than DC and VA where I am!

beachrat
Senior God Member

Reply #97 - Aug 27th, 2011, 9:32am

Quote from MMM on Aug 26th, 2011, 11:44pm:
Quote from beachrat on Aug 26th, 2011, 10:47pm:
Al and others, I appreciate the sentiments.  At least I got in a few days - just wish I hadn't saved so much for the second week!  I really feel for the folks who didn't even get a chance to get there.

Are you going to try to return next week?

Undecided at this point.  That was originally the plan - in fact we had thought to just go to the other side of Philly and wait it out in a motel - but decided not to do that since we didn't know when we'd actually be allowed back.  I don't really want to be there in the midst of a cleanup effort, if this is as bad as forecast.  I may go back to work next week, and go down later in Sept.  We were in a condo, and they don't give refunds - but they did offer us another week later this year for nothing, or a miniscule discount off of next years' rental.

View Profile   IP Logged
JerseyDigger29

The Wildwoods: One
Island, One Resort,
One Future

Reply #98 - Aug 27th, 2011, 10:12am

As of now - 9:55 a.m. - All's quiet -- and WET -- on the eastern front. Light winds and light rain. Kind of spooky really. Everything seems like a ghost town: very, very eerie. All the critters are going nuts. I hear dogs are reacting weirdly. My puppy, Hobo, has been running around in circles, sniffing the air coming trough the windows and then running around the house like he's in a panic. When he isn't doing that he's trying to curl up to one of us like he wants to be held. Normally, he's running around the house trying to eat everything into a million pieces. Not today, though.

Forget the MANDATORY evacuations. My guess is that 35 to 40 percent of residents in CM County, and many tourists who didn't want to lose their reservations - or the experience, I guess - are still here. The police are warning everyone they see that they are totally on their own when the hurricane hits, but it just seems to be a fact of life in an emergency: Too many people just cannot get away and are stuck. And of course, many don't want to leave their homes and/or their pets.

You know, CMC has only one emergency shelter. They're shipping local residents up into Atlantic County. CM County sucks!!!!!

Oh, I forgot, the county does have one shelter down here at the local airport. They said that the former EVERLON building is available..... for your pets only!!! Drop off Fido and Spot, and get the H*ll out.

There were gas lines of up to a mile or more at every gas station in the county the last two nights. The ones in Rio Grande were the worst because of traffic coming out of Wildwood, etc.

All gas stations in North Cape May ran out of gas on Thursday night and closed. The WAWA in NCM ran out of gas also on Friday night, but then got a new delivery - and then closed the entire store by Friday morning. A store full of food and drink - but no gas - sop they close, along with the 7/11. Only place for food in NCM was the ACME. They had intensely long lines of people trying to stock up.

You know, about emergency evacuation plans, you really do need several days to do it. It takes at least three days just for the idea to sink into a lot if heads. And then everyone tries to go at the very last minute. Especially here in S. Jersey where we only have two highways leading into PA. ANd both of those roads merge basically into one just before the Delaware River at Philly. South Jersey is one bad place to try to get out of.

Oh, about those long gas lines. There was apparently a lot of road rage in the NCM area as the cops were always speeding in the direction of the three gas stations.

See ya - Thom

Roberts Avenue
God Member

Reply #99 - Aug 27th, 2011, 11:49am

As others have mentioned before,  the track of this storm keeps shifting. However, WPVI, the local ABC affiliate, just reported that the current track will take it closer in land than earlier forecast.

View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #100 - Aug 27th, 2011, 11:54am

Quote from JerseyDigger29 on Aug 27th, 2011, 10:12am:

Forget the MANDATORY evacuations. My guess is that 35 to 40 percent of residents in CM County, and many tourists who didn't want to lose their reservations - or the experience, I guess - are still here.

Thom, are a lot of motels staying open then?

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
Melissa1978
God Member

Loves writing
stories

Reply #101 - Aug 27th, 2011, 1:21pm

The last update I got was she has weakened and is now down to category 1.not sure how high the winds are though sorry.

Melissa
Cassie to Diana-You're the other blackwell in the circle,you're my sister-The Secret Circle

The Secret Circle,The Lying Game,Castle,The mentalist,Pretty little liars all good shows.

Bryan
Senior God Member

Missing Wildwood...

Reply #102 - Aug 27th, 2011, 1:37pm

Looks like it's still just a lot of rain at the moment.  Though I nearly jumped at the site of this:

At first glance, I thought that was a pool of water just across the bottom half of the screen, then realized it was just the image, really pixel-y and "buffering" I suppose.

Melissa1978
God Member

Loves writing
stories

Reply #103 - Aug 27th, 2011, 1:39pm

Quote from Bryan on Aug 27th, 2011, 1:37pm:
Looks like it's still just a lot of rain at the moment.  Though I nearly jumped at the site of this:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6551/riograndec.jpg

At first glance, I thought that was a pool of water just across the bottom half of the screen, then realized it was just the image, really pixel-y and "buffering" I suppose.

So did I when I first saw it.

Melissa
Cassie to Diana-You're the other blackwell in the circle,you're my sister-The Secret Circle

The Secret Circle,The Lying Game,Castle,The mentalist,Pretty little liars all good shows.

Roberts Avenue
God Member

Reply #104 - Aug 27th, 2011, 2:07pm

I was listening to the Wildwood police scanner this morning- the officers were busy switching the patters for the traffic signals. I bet some of the class II officers are thinking, " no one said anything about a hurricane in that recruitment brochure".

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Send Topic Print