Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Nov 13th, 2018, 8:03pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aug. 17 to 21st, 2011 with Pics (Read 4206 times)
Dark in the Park
Senior God Member

"Abandon all
hope, ye who enter
here."

Aug. 17 to 21st, 2011 with Pics
Aug 24th, 2011, 12:29am

We got down to the shore for some more days at the end of August.  Weather was nice except for Friday...which unfortunately cancelled the fireworks.  My son really looks forward to the fireworks so he was bummed out about that.  Here are a couple observations:

I never noticed this version of a Music Express during our last trip.  It's next to the new "It" ride.  I like how they have the back of the ride open facing toward the beach.

We tried Joe's Fish Co for dinner.  My son liked it because we could order Curley's Fries in there...his favorite shore food.

The food was good, although my seafood bisque had more bisque than seafood.  I did get a 1 pound lobster meal which was very good...and my wife got broiled scallops which she liked a lot.  It does get windy on the deck...but I like the outdoor atmosphere.

We took the kids up to the Wild Wheels Pier for the first time.  My son agreed to go on the Jersey Junkyard...which he closed his eyes through most of.  The ride seemed longer than it did when I rode it last...possibly they lengthened the track at some point.  

A couple rides were closed, including the Great White.  They were replacing a section of track.

The Maelstrom was also closed.  It looks like it's getting a complete overhaul...or being removed.  I know there have been several recent accidents on similar rides...so maybe the pier doesn't want the liability.  This ride is next to the Sea Dragon.  I never noticed anything about that accident while we were down there.

My son agreed to go on the Ghost Ship.  Apparently, they now allow the actors to touch people...although no one touched us.  I guess they could tell my son was scared since he had his eyes closed and his hands over his ears.  I do have to hand it to the Morey's, this ride is very good now.  They made it much scarier than when I first went through it.  It is very dark, there is lots of theming, and the actors have gotten much better.  A first class dark ride.

This is my son after making it through the Ghost Ship.  He was proud, even though I had to carry him the entire way.  I am happy that he didn't start crying and make me take him off the ride.

I noticed that the outside of Mack's has gotten some work.  They added bead board behind the Mack's sign.  Also, one of the signs is missing...maybe being repaired.  You can see how it compares to my 2006 picture.

Here is a picture of my kids and me on the big Ferris wheel.  We had a good time and hope to get back down once more before the rides close.  We want to get the most out of our season passes.

Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
fuzzyscorpio
Ultimate God Member

Wildwoods fanatic
since '55

Re: Aug. 17 to 21st, 2011 with Pics
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2011, 12:34am

Quote from Dark in the Park on Aug 24th, 2011, 12:29am:
http://www.darkinthepark.com/temp/2011/ww08/ww01.jpg
I never noticed this version of a Music Express during our last trip.  It's next to the new "It" ride.  I like how they have the back of the ride open facing toward the beach.

Nice—very old school.  

Thanks for the pix!

Kathi
My eye sees the Atlantis condo, but my heart sees the Atlantis Lodge
click here for Wildwoods slide shows •
View Profile   IP Logged
Roberts Avenue
Senior God Member

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2011, 7:24am

Great report as usual!  I totally agree with you about the Ghost Ship. I look forward to seeing what they do with the Morey's Fears event, whether they'll tweak the theme a bit.  The ship brig scene is one of my favorite parts, as it always surprises people who are going through for the first time.

The Music Express Ride is not new, just moved several yards- it just about swapped places with Dante's after the post Giant Slide removal.

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2011, 10:04am

great job on the pic report DITP.. enjoyed it very much.... Your kids are getting big!!

Email View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2011, 7:51pm

Quote from Dark in the Park on Aug 24th, 2011, 12:29am:

http://www.darkinthepark.com/temp/2011/ww08/ww01.jpg

Rock 'n' Roll.  More of a Flying Bobs ride.  It's good, but I prefer the actual Music Express on Mariners.

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
Email View Profile   IP Logged
Dark in the Park
Senior God Member

"Abandon all
hope, ye who enter
here."

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2011, 10:54pm

Quote from Roberts Avenue on Aug 24th, 2011, 7:24am:
Great report as usual!  I totally agree with you about the Ghost Ship. I look forward to seeing what they do with the Morey's Fears event, whether they'll tweak the theme a bit.  The ship brig scene is one of my favorite parts, as it always surprises people who are going through for the first time.

The Music Express Ride is not new, just moved several yards- it just about swapped places with Dante's after the post Giant Slide removal.

Thanks Roberts.  I think for the halloween event they will probably have more actors inside the ride.  There are plenty of places for them to jump out of!

As for the music express ride...I thought it looked familiar, but maybe I never noticed it because it wasn't open to the beach before.

Dark in the Park
Senior God Member

"Abandon all
hope, ye who enter
here."

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2011, 10:56pm

Quote from FlyinGN on Aug 24th, 2011, 10:04am:
great job on the pic report DITP.. enjoyed it very much.... Your kids are getting big!!

Thanks Frank.  As long as I'm not getting big, I'm happy Smiley

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print