Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Jul 24th, 2014, 8:59am
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Holidays and Summer 2012 (Read 2878 times)
wildwood4life
God Member

A Wildwood Supporter
for 24 years!

Holidays and Summer 2012
Nov 9th, 2011, 8:22am

So I don't know about anyone else....but right now, I'm super excited for the holidays.  Love Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years....

With that in mind, once the holidays pass, I feel as though I'm at the halfway point of my wait to get back to Summer.  With anyone else feel this way?

With a long winter still ahead of us, I have winter weekends in Wildwood planned in each month from now until May, just to help me get through.  If you've never planned on taking a trip to WW in the offseason and truly enjoy just being there, if at all possible, plan a trip.  it really does help the time move by nicely....it also gives you something to look forward to on those cold, winter days.

Email View Profile WWW Mummermusicman   IP Logged
markcpeyko
Senior God Member

Tom Cat, Cold Cat

Re: Holidays and Summer 2012
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2011, 9:04am

What do you do in the winter? Any suggestions for food and fun?

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Cindy
God Member

proudly drinking the
kool aid

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2011, 12:17pm

With the early snowfall here in the Northeast, I am more excited than usual for the holidays.  And, the excitement started earlier this year.  I started my X-mas shopping already and will be starting to decorate this weekend.

Agreed about the post-holidays… After New Year’s, it is sort of like Hump Day for the new shore season.  

I am planning at least one off-season trip, and I salute you for doing a weekend each month.  Are you staying at the same place each time?

During those long winter days/months, I have my daily on-line WW fixes.  Plus, all my visual reminders at home and in the office (which we discussed ad nauseum in a prior post.)

"Bobby Bright of the Wildwood Historical Society often refers to us as a cult . . ." Ralph Grassi
Email View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2011, 12:25pm

I'm intend to make a day trip between now and the next month or so.  I always attend the Dog Show in February.  Hopefully something else will bring me to Wildwood over the winter as well.

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
57tbird

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2011, 1:15pm

I wished I lived close enough to ride out a snow storm in WW...But the ghost town feel of WW during winter also means there's no place to stay for the night.

The sounds of the tram cars, the smells of the various food vendor wares, and the noise..oh the noise, it all brings me back to a simpler time, when bills and deadlines were not part of my life.
View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2011, 1:30pm

we love this time of the year too.. But after Christmas, its dead of winter cold and dark days for a few months. Jan and Feb are long months.  Once March comes, we start to get excited for the spring..  

Quote from wildwood4life on Nov 9th, 2011, 8:22am:
So I don't know about anyone else....but right now, I'm super excited for the holidays.  Love Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years....

With that in mind, once the holidays pass, I feel as though I'm at the halfway point of my wait to get back to Summer.  With anyone else feel this way?

With a long winter still ahead of us, I have winter weekends in Wildwood planned in each month from now until May, just to help me get through.  If you've never planned on taking a trip to WW in the offseason and truly enjoy just being there, if at all possible, plan a trip.  it really does help the time move by nicely....it also gives you something to look forward to on those cold, winter days.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
DooWopper
Forum Moderator

Palmus Plasticcus!

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2011, 9:53pm

I am a HUGE lover of Christmas, its one of my favorite times of the year, and something very special to me for many reasons. However, once Christmas is over, I get a big case of the blahs basically until April. I hate the cold weather, it effects me weird, and I do not like these short days where its dark by 5pm. For me Winter usually involves watching videos about my favorite beach spots on YouTube, looking at those nice "Birds Eye" view maps on Bing, and of course talking about the upcoming Summer and happy memories from the past on this forum. I usually make several trips to the beach here during the Winter. Usually every weekend I'll go with my girlfriend for a little walk on the sand and check out the very barren and very native looking landscape that is the Winter beach. It's beautiful in its own way and makes the thought of an upcoming Summer even more exciting.

Besides all this, I have NEVER taken a Winter trip to Wildwood! My time in Wildwood has been exclusively in the dog days of Summer. I'm tempted to make a trip down this Winter, more for the shock factor (for me) then anything else, and it would be a neat opportunity to grab some cool photos. However, I have a feeling like other years, it won't end up happening. I'm not too interested in seeing what in my mind has always been the middle of Summer frozen and abandoned. I'm quite familiar with the Winter beach town scene and I still don't like it. I think a trip in late Spring would be cool, to see everything coming back to life slowly. We'll see.

-Greg
Please Enjoy My Photo Slideshows
*****http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperOktav *****
View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2011, 2:18am

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
Roberts Avenue
God Member

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2011, 7:27am

My April day visits this year were a great chance to see things slowly come back to life. On my first visit, Mariner's was not yet open, maybe less than a quarter of the boardwalk stores were open, but others were just starting to get ready for the season. Each visit after that, Mariner's opened, and more and more merchants were opening up.

I definitely plan to make at least one day trip each month this winter. If not for anything else, it gives me an excuse to buy fudge from Laura's or Fudge Kitchen.

View Profile   IP Logged
wildwood4life
God Member

A Wildwood Supporter
for 24 years!

Reply #9 - Nov 10th, 2011, 8:16am

Wildwood in the Winter is just awesome....depending on what you're looking to do.  We usually go to dinner either at Nino's (courthouse location is open all year) or Alfie's.  We always do Cape May, especially around Christmas (Hardly ever go in the summer).  Spend some time sitting by the beach thinking about the past summer and planning for the upcoming summer.  Night time for us is not much different than what we do in the Summer.  We go to Flip Flopz, Keenan's, Westy's, and Casey's on Third.  All are open and all have entertainment on Mmost Friday and Saturday nights (Keenan's is only open Sat nights this winter).  

December has the Christmas Activities on the weekends, January is usually quiet, but still enjoyable, February is the Polar Bear Plunge!  

Also.....

Not a big Ocean City guy, but OC in the winter is totally alive!  Most of the boardwalk shops and food remain open in OC throughout the winter.  It's really a great thing to do!  Stone Harbor is always nice to walk around and find the open shops and restaurants.

The shore in the winter is just a great place to visit!  I love it!  Summer is my favorite, but there is just something about the shore in the winter when NO ONE is around that is surreal.  It's a neat experience.  It also lets you know if you'd ever be able to live there year round!  I know I would in a minute!

markcpeyko
Senior God Member

Tom Cat, Cold Cat

Reply #10 - Nov 10th, 2011, 8:29am

Quote from DooWopper on Nov 9th, 2011, 9:53pm:
I'm not too interested in seeing what in my mind has always been the middle of Summer frozen and abandoned.

I'm with Greg on this. When I'm in Wildwood, the party needs to be in full swing. For me, the whole travel experience is wrapped in the season: Jersey tomatoes, the long summer days, being able to go into the ocean, etc. I probably could do Cape May in winter because its environment seems a little more traditional and year round.

FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #11 - Nov 10th, 2011, 11:15am

Quote from markcpeyko on Nov 10th, 2011, 8:29am:
Quote from DooWopper on Nov 9th, 2011, 9:53pm:
I'm not too interested in seeing what in my mind has always been the middle of Summer frozen and abandoned.

I'm with Greg on this. When I'm in Wildwood, the party needs to be in full swing. For me, the whole travel experience is wrapped in the season: Jersey tomatoes, the long summer days, being able to go into the ocean, etc. I probably could do Cape May in winter because its environment seems a little more traditional and year round.

I agree 100% Mark.. We have been wanting to to to cape may during Christmas but it has yet to happpen

wildwood4life
God Member

A Wildwood Supporter
for 24 years!

Reply #12 - Nov 10th, 2011, 1:01pm

I guess for me its a little different.  Growing up, my grandmother lived in Cape May Court House, so the fall/spring was always when I loved being there and it being quiet still.  Winter was just such a relaxing time....still is

wildwood_since_85
Senior God Member

Reply #13 - Nov 10th, 2011, 1:13pm

Cape may looks like an awesome place to visit in december

Zoom Phloom Fanatic
markcpeyko
Senior God Member

Tom Cat, Cold Cat

Reply #14 - Nov 10th, 2011, 5:50pm

I understand how people feel about Wildwood in winter and I respect and truly appreciate it. My house in Ohio is located on a corner and I really love being outdoors shoveling the snow (within reason).  Wink It's really peaceful and quiet with snow on the ground. The beauty and stillness of the night – with all the stars – is something that everyone should try to experience, even if they're not clearing their sidewalks and driveways.

Cindy
God Member

proudly drinking the
kool aid

Reply #15 - Nov 10th, 2011, 5:53pm

I found this groovy little website, dedicated to some activities during the 1st weekend in December.

There is also a holiday bazaar on Saturday at the Convention Center.

http://www.wildwoodholiday.com/

"Bobby Bright of the Wildwood Historical Society often refers to us as a cult . . ." Ralph Grassi
wildwood_since_85
Senior God Member

Reply #16 - Jan 1st, 2012, 12:33pm

Well for everyone going in 2012 we can now say see u this year..as opposed to yesterday when it would be see you next year. Sounds better now!

Zoom Phloom Fanatic
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #17 - Jan 2nd, 2012, 7:39pm

well guys another Christmas passed and we never got to Wildwood or Cape MaySad

Pages: 1