Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Dec 11th, 2017, 7:53pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Favorite song. (Read 3856 times)
warren
Senior God Member

My favorite little
corner of the world!

Favorite song.
May 21st, 2012, 6:58pm

What song do you associate with The Wildwoods and as such is your favorite? Do you have one? I like the ones that first come to mind "Wildwood Days" and the like of course. But I once saw a youtube video done with still shots that was about Wildwood and it was set to Green Days "Wake me up when September ends". I have since tried to find that video but cannot. I seem to remember it was taken down, perhaps copyright issues or some such. I absolutely loved it and that song has stuck in my mind and every time I hear it, I pause, listen, and reminisce. I don't know exactly what the lyrics are meant to communicate, and sometimes I twist the lyrics of a song to my own meaning and perhaps I have done so here but.....the words do seem to fit the passing of time and experience. And in this case, the Wildwoods experience. We have spoken of the finite time we have to visit The Wildwoods and how it will come to an end someday. Those thoughts are haunting and I think the song speaks to that. I don't mean to sound somber, but rather put in perspective my love of The Wildwoods and every precious second I have the privilege of spending there.

I'd rather be at the beach!
View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Ultimate God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: Favorite song.
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2012, 1:33am

The way I see it, growing up and going down to Wildwood year after year will always be defined by the compilation of songs that were popular at the time and added to that evolving summer soundtrack that we take with us throughout our lives. But for me the summer standard was THE SUMMER WIND by Mr. Sinatra followed closely by either HOT FUN IN THE SMMERTIME by Sly & Family Stone or THEME TO A SUMMER PLACDE by Percy Faith.     George

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2012, 5:19pm by tradewinds »  
View Profile   IP Logged
57tbird
God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2012, 6:48am

Even though Wildwood is on the east coast and not a surfing haven, its gotta be Surf City by Jan and Dean.
I think its probably because Wildwood was so much a part of my coming of age and my surf music phase was right in the middle of that.

The sounds of the tram cars, the smells of the various food vendor wares, and the noise..oh the noise, it all brings me back to a simpler time, when bills and deadlines were not part of my life.
View Profile   IP Logged
wildwoodgirl
Senior God Member

Best place
ever!!!!!!

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2012, 7:05am

Quote from 57tbird on May 22nd, 2012, 6:48am:
Even though Wildwood is on the east coast and not a surfing haven, its gotta be Surf City by Jan and Dean.
I think its probably because Wildwood was so much a part of my coming of age and my surf music phase was right in the middle of that.

There are so many songs I hear that remind me of WW.  Rather than a favorite beach song, I do remember in the 70's being on the beach and everyone had their radios blasting to disco; I rememer a lifeguard singing "funkytown".

View Profile   IP Logged
hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2012, 8:47am

This topic came up before. Driving down Atlantic Ave. when I was about 8 I heard this song on the radio as we were heading to the boardwalk. In the glory days of the motel neon its a perfect song, Electric Avenue by Eddie Grant.

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2012, 11:13am

I remember that vid Warren. I believe it was done by someone on this forum.. no? Was it greg?

Quote from warren on May 21st, 2012, 6:58pm:
What song do you associate with The Wildwoods and as such is your favorite? Do you have one? I like the ones that first come to mind "Wildwood Days" and the like of course. But I once saw a youtube video done with still shots that was about Wildwood and it was set to Green Days "Wake me up when September ends". I have since tried to find that video but cannot. I seem to remember it was taken down, perhaps copyright issues or some such. I absolutely loved it and that song has stuck in my mind and every time I hear it, I pause, listen, and reminisce. I don't know exactly what the lyrics are meant to communicate, and sometimes I twist the lyrics of a song to my own meaning and perhaps I have done so here but.....the words do seem to fit the passing of time and experience. And in this case, the Wildwoods experience. We have spoken of the finite time we have to visit The Wildwoods and how it will come to an end someday. Those thoughts are haunting and I think the song speaks to that. I don't mean to sound somber, but rather put in perspective my love of The Wildwoods and every precious second I have the privilege of spending there.

Email View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2012, 11:14am

I think of WW when I hear Kidd Rocks 'all summer long'

Bryan
Senior God Member

Run Wildwood

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2012, 12:31pm

For some reason, my go-to in WW is country music (and oldies, WIBG occasionally, among other channels that I have preset in my car radio.  FM1 is DC stations, FM2 is WW).  Not sure how familiar the regulars are here but last year the song "Barefoot Blue Jean Night" by Jake Owen had just come out and was really catchy and summer-y.  "Back Road" by Rodney Atkins as well.  If I hear that song, especially on the way to WW, it seems all too appropriate.  Something about country music for me that is so light and crisp and just fits a lazy summertime mood.

warren
Senior God Member

My favorite little
corner of the world!

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2012, 5:42pm

Quote from FlyinGN on May 22nd, 2012, 11:13am:
I remember that vid Warren. I believe it was done by someone on this forum.. no? Was it greg?
If it was someone on the forum I hope they would consider, if able, putting it back up. It was really very good. Thanks Frank for confirming my rusty memory Smiley.

Quote from warren on May 21st, 2012, 6:58pm:

I'd rather be at the beach!
View Profile   IP Logged
cynda109

In my mind I'm
already there

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2012, 6:55pm

I asked this question over dinner tonight, and my son says the song that they play on the log flume when you go under the boardwalk. I was always partial to A Salty Dog by procol harem. And of course On The Boardwalk by Bruce Stringbean(mugsy) from the uncle floyd album. Sure it's about Seaside heights but it is on our wildwood mix cd

View Profile   IP Logged
DooWopper
Forum Moderator

Palmus Plasticcus!

Reply #10 - May 22nd, 2012, 7:39pm

Frank, here are all of the videos I have made. I didn't do the September Ends song, but I recall hearing it many times in the middle of August when thoughts of September start creeping into my mind.  

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperOktav/videos

I got a new DSLR camera last Fall and it shoots in HD Video so I hope to put something really nice together this year.  Smiley

-Greg
Please Enjoy My Photo Slideshows
*****http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperOktav *****
View Profile   IP Logged
hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2012, 1:02am

Quote from cynda109 on May 22nd, 2012, 6:55pm:
I asked this question over dinner tonight, and my son says the song that they play on the log flume when you go under the boardwalk. I was always partial to A Salty Dog by procol harem. And of course On The Boardwalk by Bruce Stringbean(mugsy) from the uncle floyd album. Sure it's about Seaside heights but it is on our wildwood mix cd

Anything by Uncle Floyd is good. He performed a local function where I work a few months back.

View Profile   IP Logged
bigmikeyd1960
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2012, 9:44am

it is so hard to pick a favorite song,,so I made 2 cd's (so far) that has all the songs that remind me of WW

mike
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2012, 2:23pm

Quote from DooWopper on May 22nd, 2012, 7:39pm:
Frank, here are all of the videos I have made. I didn't do the September Ends song, but I recall hearing it many times in the middle of August when thoughts of September start creeping into my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperOktav/videos

I got a new DSLR camera last Fall and it shoots in HD Video so I hope to put something really nice together this year.  Smiley

thanks Greg.. Maybe I saw it on here when someone posted a link to it? Can't wait to see your new vids too!!

Reberson44

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2012, 2:25pm

Quote from Bryan on May 22nd, 2012, 12:31pm:
For some reason, my go-to in WW is country music (and oldies, WIBG occasionally, among other channels that I have preset in my car radio.  FM1 is DC stations, FM2 is WW).  Not sure how familiar the regulars are here but last year the song "Barefoot Blue Jean Night" by Jake Owen had just come out and was really catchy and summer-y.  "Back Road" by Rodney Atkins as well.  If I hear that song, especially on the way to WW, it seems all too appropriate.  Something about country music for me that is so light and crisp and just fits a lazy summertime mood.

I agree with you about the country music thing. "Toes"  and "Knee Deep" by Zac Brown Band come to mind.

The old standbye''s "Under the Boardwalk" and "Wildwood Days" are totally classic though!!!

I also remember the YouTube video with the GreenDay song. IT was great

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print