Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Aug 15th, 2018, 6:48pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tangiers Lounge (Read 9895 times)
Beatles1964

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Tangiers Lounge
Jul 1st, 2012, 2:57pm

http://www.wildwoodnostalgia.com/2010/09/tangiers-motel.html

I saw this postcard of the Tangiers several years ago in Martino's book. I was fascinated by the original, Schumann's-like lounge/coffee shop that no longer exists. A couple weeks ago, I saw another picture of the motel at this stage:

http://retro.photoshelter.com/image/I0000CxxaYSWq.D8

Here, it's on the left of a 60s aerial photo of the Hialeah.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trishylicious/61334009/

It's clear in this photo taken in the 80s that the eastern part of the old lounge is still standing (as the Doo Wop Coffee Shop), but the western half has been converted to that lovable Tiki-style hut. And, of course, the first neon sign is gone.

It is puzzling when the transformation was made, however. I haven't found any photos of the motel between these two early postcards and the 1975 directory, which shows the Tiki hut.

Any information?

Collecting Wildwood Doo Wop photos and memorabilia since 1997.
View Profile   IP Logged
MMM
Forum Moderator

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Re: Tangiers Lounge
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2012, 6:43pm

I have not.  I'm curious about it as well, but haven't had the chance to try and figure things out better.

Welcome! Smiley

Martin Melucci

...no matter how much you like an old building, someone will eventually come along and knock it down to build a "better" one. But that rarely happens. - Tony Visconti
Email View Profile   IP Logged
wildwoodgirl
Senior God Member

Best place
ever!!!!!!

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2012, 8:28pm

Welcome.   Neat to see the Hialeah from above.  I always thought that motel was neat looking.  And look how close the water is to the road!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2012, 11:36pm

welcome beatles. God question. Seems like the Tangiers made quite a transformation over the years.

Hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 9:14am

Tangiers made a huge transformation. I think that first pic however is the lobby and not a coffee shop.

View Profile   IP Logged
DooWopper
Forum Moderator

Palmus Plasticcus!

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:29am

That original neon sign was really cool, it might just beat the Caribbean's as far as giant script letters go. It's a shame their current one hasn't worked in years and they seem to show no interest in fixing it Sad

Very interesting to see the ocean so close, looks like their was some pretty big surf that day as well. I wonder if there used to be more of a drop-off in the water like there is at most NJ beaches, the larger waves look pretty close to shore in that picture.  

-Greg
Please Enjoy My Photo Slideshows
*****http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperOktav *****
View Profile   IP Logged
warren
Senior God Member

My favorite little
corner of the world!

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:36am

Love that aerial photo. So then the little cluster of motels around the Hialeah and Tangiers-Fleur de Lis, Crusader, Nassau, Waikiki, Cape Cod, Yankee Clipper-came later. The lot for the Fleur de Lis and Crusader seems to be staked out, directly in half, and something is in the lot, perhaps equipment of some sort, and so perhaps construction of either the Fleur or Crusader was soon to begin.

I'd rather be at the beach!
View Profile   IP Logged
DooWopper
Forum Moderator

Palmus Plasticcus!

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:49am

It must have been quite a sight to see a pretty barren and flat Wildwood Crest with only sporadic and very exotic motels popping up here and there.  Smiley

-Greg
View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Ultimate God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 12:38pm

DooWopper,  There was never any real drop off along the Crest shores - even back then - from what I remember. The beaches have always been pretty flat unlike most Jersey Shore beaches that have that immediate drop-off that you mentioned.  You could walk onto the beach from one of the Crests street entrances without having to walk down or over the existing sand dunes, heading right into the water with no real slope at teh waters edge. When the streets were finally built up (which included the dreding, clearing, and removal of sand) with sewage systems, that was when steps were put in that lead from the street to the beach. The height of the waves in the photo are probably an illusion since they seem to be too close together to ever have any real height to them. The bigger waves along Wildwood's coast used to be found down around Diamond Beach and down along Cape May unlsess there were storm cycles headed along the rest of Cape May County.    George

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:21pm by tradewinds »  
View Profile   IP Logged
DooWopper
Forum Moderator

Palmus Plasticcus!

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 1:14pm

Thanks George, the beach down there really is something special. I imagine the relatively shallow water is a problem for surfing but its great for families and other people who don't like getting smashed on a shore break or dealing with deep water. I've been going to Ortley Beach weekly for the past 3 Summers and the shore break is pretty wicked at times, I'm surprised I didn't break something last year. Nothing good about a 6 foot wave crashing into 1 foot of water (with me in it)  Tongue

-Greg
View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Ultimate God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2012, 4:23pm

DooWopper, You are so right. Places like Ortley, Seaside, LBI/Beach Haven, and especially Pt. Pleasant all have that infamous "drop off." But you're also right about Wildwood beaches being special - especially when it comes to being kid friendly.  I remember sand bars that went out hundreds of feet which were always fun as a kid.  George

View Profile   IP Logged
Hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 8:34am

Quote from DooWopper on Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:29am:
That original neon sign was really cool, it might just beat the Caribbean's as far as giant script letters go. It's a shame their current one hasn't worked in years and they seem to show no interest in fixing it Sad

Very interesting to see the ocean so close, looks like their was some pretty big surf that day as well. I wonder if there used to be more of a drop-off in the water like there is at most NJ beaches, the larger waves look pretty close to shore in that picture.

The last time I remember the sign working was about 7 years ago. It now has some tube type lights which are not the same color as before. These lights are orange at night where the old sign was either blue or pink at night with the neon tubes.

View Profile   IP Logged
warren
Senior God Member

My favorite little
corner of the world!

Reply #12 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 9:08am

Here is a pic of the Tangiers I took a couple years ago. It doesn't show the finer detail of the sign but I remember it had a sort of "rope light look".

I'd rather be at the beach!
View Profile   IP Logged
wildwoodgirl
Senior God Member

Best place
ever!!!!!!

Reply #13 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 9:20am

The Tangiers is a pretty cool place.  We go to the coffee shop in the morning for coffee and pastry.  
That place is really neat, especially if you're into the old cars and old records (yes, there were records in my time).

View Profile   IP Logged
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #14 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:19am

Quote from wildwoodgirl on Jul 3rd, 2012, 9:20am:
The Tangiers is a pretty cool place.  We go to the coffee shop in the morning for coffee and pastry.  
That place is really neat, especially if you're into the old cars and old records (yes, there were records in my time).

The doo wop coffee shop is going to be one of our breakfast destinations next month for sure

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print