Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Oct 25th, 2014, 9:00pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tangiers Lounge (Read 2155 times)
warren
Senior God Member

My favorite little
corner of the world!

Re: Tangiers Lounge
Reply #15 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:39am

My wife and I also enjoy having breakfast at the coffee shop. It is very good and the decor is unique and enjoyable.

I'd rather be at the beach!
View Profile   IP Logged
Bryan
Senior God Member

Missing Wildwood...

Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 2:14pm

Can't wait to try the DWCS while I'm down later this week. I can't believe I haven't been before... always looking for new breakfast spots too. After seeing the NBC piece on it a while back, I fully intend on going there and having them tell me what I want to eat. Smiley

Email View Profile   IP Logged
hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2012, 9:49am

It is a great place and well cared for. The decor alone makes it worth checking out.

View Profile   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2012, 10:03am

Fascinating how the Tangiers evolved over time.  I never even realized that the tiki hut-style structure was added after the motel was built.  I had always assumed it was always there.

Historic aerials shows the original lobby in place in 1963- if you go to the next photo in 1970, it appears the new structure has been added, so it clearly happened in the mid- to late-60's, probabaly around the time the third floor was added, which was probably aorund the time competition appeared in the form of the Cape Cod Inn, Waikiki Inn, Nassau Inn, Fleur de Lis, Yankee Clipper and Crusader, to name a few.

I'm not sure the tiki hut was ever a lounge.  My parents told me that the upstairs (attic) room was a sauna at one point.  It definitely was in the late 80's when they would let my brother and I venture over there unsupervised to play in the attic game room (no air conditioning with the heat being trapped under the huge peaked roof... not the kind of sauna my parents spoke of having been there in the 70's.)  I don't know what (if anything) is up there these days.  Probably not an arcade, since motels don't generally have those any longer.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print