Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Mar 28th, 2015, 2:46pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tangiers Lounge (Read 2695 times)
warren
Senior God Member

My favorite little
corner of the world!

Re: Tangiers Lounge
Reply #15 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:39am

My wife and I also enjoy having breakfast at the coffee shop. It is very good and the decor is unique and enjoyable.

I'd rather be at the beach!
View Profile   IP Logged
Bryan
Senior God Member

Missing Wildwood...

Reply #16 - Jul 3rd, 2012, 2:14pm

Can't wait to try the DWCS while I'm down later this week. I can't believe I haven't been before... always looking for new breakfast spots too. After seeing the NBC piece on it a while back, I fully intend on going there and having them tell me what I want to eat. Smiley

Email View Profile   IP Logged
hulk007
Ultimate God Member

If I had one day
left on earth i'd
spend it in WW

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2012, 9:49am

It is a great place and well cared for. The decor alone makes it worth checking out.

View Profile   IP Logged
Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2012, 10:03am

Fascinating how the Tangiers evolved over time.  I never even realized that the tiki hut-style structure was added after the motel was built.  I had always assumed it was always there.

Historic aerials shows the original lobby in place in 1963- if you go to the next photo in 1970, it appears the new structure has been added, so it clearly happened in the mid- to late-60's, probabaly around the time the third floor was added, which was probably aorund the time competition appeared in the form of the Cape Cod Inn, Waikiki Inn, Nassau Inn, Fleur de Lis, Yankee Clipper and Crusader, to name a few.

I'm not sure the tiki hut was ever a lounge.  My parents told me that the upstairs (attic) room was a sauna at one point.  It definitely was in the late 80's when they would let my brother and I venture over there unsupervised to play in the attic game room (no air conditioning with the heat being trapped under the huge peaked roof... not the kind of sauna my parents spoke of having been there in the 70's.)  I don't know what (if anything) is up there these days.  Probably not an arcade, since motels don't generally have those any longer.

View Profile   IP Logged
dianewwc

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2015, 7:49pm

Quote from wildwoodgirl on Jul 3rd, 2012, 9:20am:
The Tangiers is a pretty cool place.  We go to the coffee shop in the morning for coffee and pastry.  
That place is really neat, especially if you're into the old cars and old records (yes, there were records in my time).

We stayed there last year for  weekend. I had a great time! We were on the 3rd floor & had a great view. Everything was clean & it's close enough to walk to the boardwalk & then pick up the tram car. The bananas foster french toast was the bomb

i really miss all the motels!
dianewwc

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #20 - Feb 17th, 2015, 12:01pm

Quote from warren on Jul 3rd, 2012, 9:08am:
http://i47.tinypic.com/dxczra.jpg

Here is a pic of the Tangiers I took a couple years ago. It doesn't show the finer detail of the sign but I remember it had a sort of "rope light look".

When we were there last year it was the only motel around that area with an unlit sign. I wanted to get a picture! Sad

Flyer
Ultimate God Member

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2015, 10:37am

In the 80's and 90's the Tangiers wasn't a great place, or at least it didn't seem to be- always half-empty and when there was a crowd, it was usually a loud, rowdy one.  I have a feeling the owners rented to whoever had money to pay for the night.  The property seemed to be in disrepair compared to the other motels in the area.  Now it looks to be a nice place and always has a healthy crowd.  The Doo Wop Coffee Shop is good, except for the wannabe mobster that runs (owns?) the thing.  And yeah, there's that unfortunate sign atop the building with the rope lights instead of neon.

View Profile   IP Logged
dianewwc

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2015, 12:52am

I read about that. They would rent to anyone & there were things like the rooms being dirty & drapes being ripped & dangling on the curtain rods. I didn't see the rope lights, not being lit. Tongue

FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Reply #23 - Feb 23rd, 2015, 12:04pm

True. It has really turned the corner and is now a really great place to stay in WW

Quote from Flyer on Feb 19th, 2015, 10:37am:
In the 80's and 90's the Tangiers wasn't a great place, or at least it didn't seem to be- always half-empty and when there was a crowd, it was usually a loud, rowdy one.  I have a feeling the owners rented to whoever had money to pay for the night.  The property seemed to be in disrepair compared to the other motels in the area.  Now it looks to be a nice place and always has a healthy crowd.  The Doo Wop Coffee Shop is good, except for the wannabe mobster that runs (owns?) the thing.  And yeah, there's that unfortunate sign atop the building with the rope lights instead of neon.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
dianewwc

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2015, 8:07pm

I'm thinking of staying there for the post card show. They have a special rate because the American Legion always has a group there that weekend

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print