Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Doo Wop Preservation League
Aug 20th, 2014, 8:22pm
News: Welcome to the Doo Wop Preservation League message board!
Home Help Search Login Register

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
RV's on the beach. (Read 13076 times)
FlyinGN
Ultimate God Member

Wildwood fan since
'61

Re: RV's on the beach.
Reply #60 - Aug 1st, 2012, 6:44am

Quote from warren on Jul 31st, 2012, 3:10pm:
Until I see a pic of the RV's in their spots, I can't visualize how or in what orientation they will be but it does seem from the pics of the posts that the proximity of the RV's to each other will be close. Seems like a good possibility of maneuvering problems could arise ect. Big RV's wallowing about in the sand close to each other. I agree with George that there is a great possibility of disaster here, in terms of workability.

It may have for some dandy youtube videos though  Grin

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v665/flyingn/mustang%20GT/
Email View Profile   IP Logged
wildwood_since_85
Senior God Member

Reply #61 - Aug 13th, 2012, 8:26pm

Any updates on the RV invasion?

Zoom Phloom Fanatic
MABcove

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #62 - Aug 16th, 2012, 4:09pm

Just saw this on line Cape May Herald. Hopefully this is more than just a glimmer of hope.

"Petition Prompts City to Revisit RV Placement"
WILDWOOD — A petition with over 1,500 signatures was sent to the city’s governing body Aug. 14 by two local condominium associations who do not want to see recreational vehicles parked on the beach. And in response, the city will revisit the placement of the proposed park, Mayor Ernest Troiano told the Herald.  

Signers of the petition ranged from city residents to vacationers from as far away as Canada.  

“The condominium associations of Wildwood Ocean Towers and 300 E. Leaming Street stand united in their opposition to the city’s plan to allow RVs to park on our beaches,” wrote the boards of directors of both associations. The two associations asked the city to revisit the plan with its engineering firm and “challenge them to recommend beach friendly concessions to replace the RV campground.”  

The city has proposed placing parking spots for 80 recreational vehicles on the southern end of its beach. Initially placed on the beach near Cresse Avenue, the proposed parking lo-cation was moved and would be located south of the Wildwoods Convention Center and north of Ocean Towers.  

The petition called for the cancellation of all RV parking on the beach due to concerns about beach safety and access; environmental issues and potential traffic hazards.  

“There is significant concern for the ability for residents and vacationers to safely access the beach from Leaming to Cresse without having to come in contact with the RVs or to cross paths with them,” noted the petition. “This RV park will be within one block of hundreds of residential condominium owners/taxpayers, numerous commercial businesses and will be next to the Wildwood Boardwalk where tens of thousands of tourists walk by.”  

The petition noted a concern for environmental issues such as motor oil, transmission fluid or brake fluid being spilled onto the sand, as well as gray water, sewage discharge, pet waste and other waste generated by RVs. The petition called for the elimination of the pro-posed RV park for financial reasons. It noted, “There have been at least two contracts of sale at Wildwood Ocean Towers placed in jeopardy by the potential presence of RVs on the beach and other property owners have reported losses of renters for 2013 and beyond due to RV parking.”  

At the June 27 City Commissioners meeting, Michael McCardy, an Ocean Towers condominium owner told city officials he, along with other condominium owners were interested in finding “an amicable solution to not have RVs parked in front of us.” During that meeting McCardy said “there is enough support within our community to hire a study and file an injunction against the city for the allowed use. We don’t want them. We want them on the southern side of the convention center.”  

Placing recreational vehicles on the beach is part of the city’s plan to make the beach a money-making venture for the city. “Everyone complains about their taxes and everyone wants their taxes lowered,” said Troiano during the June 27 meeting. “We need to try and generate revenue. We have an expansive beach out there that is just a barren waste of money.”  

Signers of the petition do not necessarily agree with the mayor’s take on a financial fix for the city’s empty coffers.  

“Wildwood’s chief asset is its beaches and beaches should be protected at all costs,” wrote Jeanne LaSorda in a comment to the online petition. “This is the city’s first step, but it won’t stop with just 80 RVs. Once the beach is contaminated with motor oil, no one will want to sunbathe on it. When no one wants to vacation in Wildwood, the city won’t have to worry about a ‘revenue stream.’”  

“People are entitled to their opinions,” said the mayor. “There will be a review of the location of the RVs.”

View Profile   IP Logged
tradewinds
Senior God Member

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #63 - Aug 16th, 2012, 4:25pm

The good news is that so far there have been no RVs on the beach. In fact, the town hasn't received one call from any RV owner interested in reserving a beach parking spot!  If that isn't embarassing enough for the Wildwood mayor, now it's being reported that the CEO of Point Break Management who "secured" the deal to operate and manage the RVs on the beach just so happens to have family ties to Troiano - though I'm sure it's all by "coincidence."  Roll Eyes    George  

View Profile   IP Logged
Bryan
Senior God Member

Missing Wildwood...

Reply #64 - Aug 17th, 2012, 11:28am

It's all well and good, both sides really... and I find myself strictly in the middle. I see it as a great revenue stream for the town that can alleviate tax burdens for many people. I think I'm just with the petitioners that it needs to be somewhere else. Where by the convention center were they talking? Why wasn't that the option in the first place?

Actually... why wouldn't that spot on the beach where the bleachers are, that used to host the monster truck and other motorsports events work? No one seemed to be bothered by the noise, fumes, motor oil, etc of that when it was a yearly event... I'm all for preserving the beaches, and keeping a tight regulation on any RVs... but I feel like some place on that long stretch of beach could work... one that's not as intrusive to beach-goers. I would think the current location being petitioned is rather intrusive...

scca28
Senior God Member

Got Sand On My
Fudgie Wudgie!.

Reply #65 - Aug 18th, 2012, 6:32am

Quote from Bryan on Aug 17th, 2012, 11:28am:
I think I'm just with the petitioners that it needs to be somewhere else. Where by the convention center were they talking? Why wasn't that the option in the first place?

Bryan, I'm thinking just south of the Convention Center? That's not really blocking anybody's view of anything. And the C-C has a walkway to get you to the beach, so no one would have to walk thru a bunch of RV's on their way. I guess if it has to be, then that would be my choice...

Dave
Email View Profile WWW   IP Logged
SandArtist
God Member

Sun, Sand, Surf
& Kites!

Reply #66 - Aug 18th, 2012, 9:06pm

I read in an article just recently that the going price to have your RV on the Beach, no frills, was $150 per night. Many of the folks commenting on said article said that was a ridiculous price to pay when there were nice camp grounds nearby with all of the amenities for $75 a night.

I support Doo Wop preservation.
Graphic Design & Coastal Photography: http://www.leshockarts.com/
View Profile   IP Logged
MABcove

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #67 - Aug 21st, 2012, 8:46am

Heard that they have pulled up the wooden post on the beach where the RV's were to park. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Wondering if they have abandoned the concept or just going to relocate them elsewhere.

View Profile   IP Logged
Bryan
Senior God Member

Missing Wildwood...

Reply #68 - Aug 21st, 2012, 3:34pm

Quote from SandArtist on Aug 18th, 2012, 9:06pm:
I read in an article just recently that the going price to have your RV on the Beach, no frills, was $150 per night. Many of the folks commenting on said article said that was a ridiculous price to pay when there were nice camp grounds nearby with all of the amenities for $75 a night.

Well, in a way, that's probably a good price then to keep it from overcrowding. It *is* a luxury to be that close to the beach (literally on, heh) compared to the campgrounds. So for those that scoff at the price, go to the campgrounds. I don't doubt they carefully chose that price.

Carl

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #69 - Aug 21st, 2012, 6:45pm

Quote from MABcove on Aug 21st, 2012, 8:46am:
Heard that they have pulled up the wooden post on the beach where the RV's were to park. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
Wondering if they have abandoned the concept or just going to relocate them elsewhere.

This is correct, the posts have been removed.

Also the beach access is now closed at Cresse Avenue due to the new bike ramp.

Regards to all,

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
MABcove

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #70 - Aug 23rd, 2012, 9:22am

So has the RV parking south of the convention center been scraped? Or are they going to be relocated  to a new area along the WW beach?

View Profile   IP Logged
MABcove

I support Doo Wop
preservation.

Reply #71 - Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:50am

I think I may have answered by own question regarding what's happening with the RV's on beach since the post have been pulled out.

On page 6 of this weeks WW Leader there is an article saying that Wildwood has not recieved approval from the Health Dept to operate a campground on the beach. You can read it online at the Leaders website. I am sure that this will only be a matter of time before this is push through.

It goes on to say that Commissioner feel that they are still expecting RV's to be on the beach by Labor Day.

View Profile   IP Logged
markcpeyko
Senior God Member

Tom Cat, Cold Cat

Reply #72 - Aug 26th, 2012, 6:44pm

I wouldn't mind an RV park somewhere in the resort, but certainly not on the beach. Maybe near the inlet area. Someone could do a retro park with plastic palm trees, etc. I really don't see how it makes sense from an economic standpoint. It takes lodgers away from hotels and motels and reduces the likelihood that someone will rent a condo. That's bed tax that's not being collected, so why would the convention bureau even want to promote it? Someone created the dunes and restored native vegetation to protect the beach, but this seems to do just the opposite.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
markcpeyko
Senior God Member

Tom Cat, Cold Cat

Reply #73 - Aug 26th, 2012, 7:01pm

Breaking news on the RV park. From the Cape May Herald: "Health Department to Wildwood: ‘Show Us Your Plans’ "

http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/article/government/wildwood/85995-health+depa rtment+wildwood+‘show+us+your+plans’

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print