OPENING HOURS

Mon - Fri: 7am - 10pm

​​Saturday: 8am - 10pm

​Sunday: 8am - 11pm

ADDRESS

The Doo Wop Experience and Neon Sign Garden are located directly across from the Wildwoods Convention Center on Ocean Avenue between Burk and Montgomery Avenues.

GET IN TOUCH

123-456-7890

info@doowopusa.org

© 2019 The Doo Wop Preservation League. Proudly created by Wild Island Graphics.

Aug 19

2019 August Trip

7 comments

Edited: Aug 19

We visited Wildwood for a brief August trip from the 16th through the 18th. Weather was nice, although a little muggy. Here are some pictures and observations.

This new mural was at the Poplar avenue ramp.

So we finally got a chance to ride the Runaway Tram on Friday. There was a pretty good line of people waiting to go on, but the line moved quick. The ride is short, but you go around the track twice, which is nice. It is a fun coaster and perfect for families to ride together. I personally think it's a much better coaster than the Flitzer...but then again I never really liked the Flitzer. There are some old Flitzer car bodies mounted on display in the cue line. You can purchase a picture of yourself riding the coaster in the Kong gift shop. I noticed that they removed the canopy from the first car and Gig from the rear car which is a shame because it took away from the tram car look. Also, the LED lights on the track don't follow the train like one of the technicians told us they would. They do change color and add a nice look at night. I think they are still trying to work out problems because the ride was closed again Saturday night.

The little train has returned to Morey's Pier under the Runaway Tram track. It got a new paint job and is no longer Dr. Seuss themed.

The shaved ice stand finally covered up the Rita's signs and added to their menu. They now have Philadelphia Water Ice, soft and hard ice cream and hemp water ice. We've become fans of their shaved ice and they were doing very good business...much better than Rita's ever did on the boardwalk.

We won a complete set of Willy Wonka cards at Bobby Dees and Mariner's Arcade. It was our lucky day.

This lady had a trash bag full of tickets and dozens of Willy Wonka, Wizzard of Oz and poker cards at Gateway.

Still most of the games in the Boardwalk Mall arcade are broken. They should really close the whole mall.

The pizza place outside the boardwalk mall was doing some business. Notice the old Fredo's Pizza signs to the left.

Snow White's pizza is starting to look half edible....although I still haven't tried it.

I, of course, got a delicious slice of Mack's.

The shop in the old Strand lobby covered part of the marquee with a banner.

Is it just me or does this place have TOO many signs? They covered every inch of their place with a bright sign offering every dessert and fried food. When I see a place like this, it makes we not want to buy anything there.

They added a big Pig Dog sign on Mariner's Landing.

Vegas Diner put some money into their sign and actually got the neon working again. I always like when a business fixes up their sign.

They actually did some more work to the Wildwood water tower and added some white highlights to the "W".

They also finally painted the North Wildwood water tower.

On Saturday they were having a little league tournament on the beach. It must be hard to play baseball in the sand.

Randy finally got his swamp coolers going in his arcade...but it was still warm in there. He did, however, have a pretty good crowd in there on Saturday and my son played for an hour on only 2 dollars!

The Cedar Avenue ramp is open, but they still have some work to do. There is only a temporary railing on the ramp and the boardwalk is still very dark there. I hope they add some more lights to make it more inviting.

If you wondered what Santa does in the summer, he works at Mike's parking lot.

And finally, a classy decoration at Pop's Caramel Corn.

We had a nice little trip...but now it's back to reality. School is starting on the 26th! We will be back for another short trip for Labor Day...but it looks like the summer is over.

Aug 19

Thanks for sharing so many great photos. I love the Zombie Shark mural.

Runaway Tram Car looks nice. I'm sure a lot of people will say they don't like it better than Flitzer, but I don't think the two can be compared- they're very different rides. I think the use of the old Flitzer car bodies and the placement of the small train under the ride are both nice touches.

Hemp water ice? I'm oddly intrigued.

Aug 20Edited: Aug 20

I am good at Fascination aren’t I... maybe better than Randy.

we also got a 3rd Willy Wonka set at Gateway after you left

love the pictures as always! really gets me excited about going down tomorrow. looking forward to playing Fascination again.

Aug 22

The chipstix at that stand are actually quite good. My son likes them and their lemonade is decent.

Great report. Congrats on the Willy Wonka sets. They were very elusive to us. And I can't even imagine having a garbage bag full of cards at Gateway. The Tram ride does look odd without the canopy and Gig, but they had to remove it to get it to run. Maybe in the off season they can fine tune it and but it back on. We will have to ride it next year.

The trash bag was full of regular tickets...which a few games still dispense in Gateway....like the blackjack machine and some of the coin pushers.

I'm not sure how many cards she had...but it was taking them awhile to go through them all.

Sep 19

Fantastic pics, thanks for posting, Warren.

• Since all our old trip reports were lost with the old message board, I decided I would occasionally post some pictures from old visits to Wildwood. This report includes some pictures from June 20th, 2005. The old skeeball lanes in Gateway 26 after they moved them from the back of the arcade to one of the smaller front rooms. These were great because they use to take a dime. My wife posing in front of the old "Flame Inn" at 23rd and Surf. Me posing in front of the old Thunderbird Inn which was also on Surf. A look at the old Seaport Village before it was a swimming pool. Sportland Pier still had the Dairy Queen and arcade. Dr. Blood's House of Horrors was still standing, although it hadn't operated since the 80s. Morey's had just converted Dante's Inferno to Dante's Dungeon. Mariner's Landing had just converted Dark River to Pirates of Wildwood. The Cook's Shoppe was new this season. The big Curley's Fry sign on Morey's Pier was new. They had just knocked down the Captain's Table restaurant. They had just put in the Commerce Bank on Rio Grande Ave.
  • We were down to Wildwood for just one day to close up the shore house and enjoy the island one last time before everything closes for the winter. It was closing day for Mariner's Landing and their Oktoberfest celebration. It wasn't too cold, but there was some clouds and occasional drizzle. Here are some pictures from the day. We got some Curley's and they were great. We didn't try the "beer cheese". I had my last fix of Mack's for the year. I hope it will last me through the winter... They were selling these huge cheese-covered pretzels on Mariner's Landing. I didn't have one, but this lady let me take a picture of hers. I should have asked her for a bite too. I had to get my pumpkin and cinnamon Kohr's cone. Things were pretty quiet on the beach and boardwalk. The pier was adorned with blue & white bunting. A lot of chairs in storage. Where Ferris wheel cars go to hibernate for the winter. Randy was bringing in some stuff to his arcade. I'm not sure if it was just to store or he was going to set it up. "See you in May." That says it all...
  • Hello everyone, I'm a bit late with this but I've been extremely busy. My girlfriend and I went down the 22nd-25th of August and stayed at the Shalimar. Here is a video I put together. I tried to make it fun by adding facts about Wildwood, personal stories, or asking the viewers questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obDJVoH4VUE&t=1s And another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTpckpuIiMM&t=92s I call this trip "unfinished business" . There were things I had planned to do, but couldn't. Anyway, here's a recap: 22nd: -Left in the morning, got there by lunch and did our usual first stop at Curley's. Played some ski ball at Lime Ricky's after it (where it's still only a quarter to play) . Checked in, took a quick nap, then hit the gym. Our favorite, Bandana's for dinner, the vegetable wrap there is so good. Hit the boards where we soaked in the sights and sounds for the night. Of course, I played a good half hour of Fascination, so happy it's back! 23rd: -Drove to Fresh on 5th in North Wildwood for a big green smoothie for breakfast, I was filled with energy and ready to go. For lunch, we went to The Mad Batter in Cape May. There was quite a wait, but it was worth it. We ordered take out since it would have been quicker. We ordered the seitan wings which were so incredibly good. My gf also ordered a black bean burger to eat at a later time. Ate in our room. And then....the rain came. It rained (pretty heavy) for the rest of the day and into the night. I did drive out for some soy ice cream at Cool Scoops, but other than that, we stayed in the room and watched Mindhunter on Netflix. The day was pretty much lost. 24th: -It was beautiful the next morning. We rented bikes and drove from the Crest to the boardwalk and back, and then a bit in the streets. This was a huge accomplishment for me, as I have only learned to ride 2 years ago and have only ridden while on vacation pretty much. So that was my first time riding in the streets. Next year, I plan to go more than a few blocks in the streets. After showering we hit the boards, had a smoothie from Alohoa. I planned to conquer my fears and go on roller coasters. I told my gf "I'll go on tonight when we come back to the boards" . After a nap in the room, went to Bandana's again (to go this time) so I can get another veggie wrap while my gf had her black bean burger from Mad Batter, which she said was great. It became cool and breezy, and we realized we didn't pack anything for cooler temps, so we just hung out on the balcony/the room for the night, no boardwalk. 25th: -After checking out, we went to the board for one more round of Curley fries. We usually get fries and leave right away, but this time we stuck around on the boards for another hour or so, playing some more ski ball, and soaking everything in one last time. Of course the weather was finally perfect the day we were leaving. I had a hard time leaving. There was a lot of uncertainty job wise back home. I didn't get to go on the rides like I had hoped. We didn't do our usual fun times in Old City Pub and then going in the Ghost Ship. No Ferris Wheel. Didn't get to Sunset Lake, or any of the wineries. I wanted to do more bike riding. As we were walking back to the car, I said "I have unfinished business here" . I didn't want it to end. And so, the long wait for next summer begins.